01 October 2009

Thursday Update



A while back when I was sick, someone mentioned to me they were so worried about the dust storms in Australia and my lungs. I had said my lungs were doing a lot better and, "What - dust storms in Australia?" I really don't stay up with the news when I am sick in bed. But asked Gary about them and he said they came, they went, I would be fine.


Side note: After a guy saw the photo from my last post and asked Gary what website he pulled it off of and Gary told him it was his own photo pasted together by his wife - that guy (don't know who it was, just a co-worker) said that the sky looked like that because of the dust storm - so something good did come from it ...


... but not in Gary's apartment. He apologized profusely and said that he had not cleaned my bathroom before I came and I was all "Why should you - it's my bathroom and you rarely use it - I can take care of it". Then he reminds me of the dust storms and if you recall I devoted an entire blog last time I was in Brisbane to the ventilation system here in the apartment (and apparently all apartments) where the top 6" of the window in my bathroom is just screen. Yes, just screen, dust storm - put them together and what have we got? Well lets just say that I was able to become part of the world renowned Australian dust storms by cleaning up the blinking mess with Gary - man a lot of dust, wet? Just looks like mud ... in my bathroom.


Only the kitchen and my bathroom have the screen over the window doohickey - the rest of the rooms required to have ventilation in Gary's apartment have vents and they might be filtered since he said the dust was not so bad in there.


This note was posted in the elevators. I thought that maybe I could call them and tell them that my bathroom needed to be cleaned ...


Another fun thing going on at Gary's apartment that I did not fully comprehend is there is some safety work being done on his deck. I'm all for having those handrails not fall out, so no biggie, but the first day I got here - if you read my blog you might recall - I dumped my luggage and fell into bed - thinking it odd the drapes were closed - they are never closed - beautiful view ... and who's going to see you. In the middle of my slumber I hear voices - right outside on the balcony and then I remembered - oh yeah - people are going to be mucking about on the balcony and I was very grateful they could not see in.




The next day they came and I was just wandering the apartment - doing this and that - reading a book, whatever and saw them arrive - on ropes. They start from the roof and belay down. I have rappelled once in my life and it was not for me - that first step off with nothing but a rope holding you up hundreds of feet.

As the day went on, I grew bolder and opened the sliding glass door and asked if I could take their photo. They said yes. One was on the balcony and one was hanging from a rope on the other side of the balcony. I mentioned to him that I would not be comfortable with that. He said he loved the hanging, he didn't love the work he was doing!


So Thursday for me was a lazy day for me - Gary called it a recovery day. We headed out to what everyone around her calls the best steak in Brisbane:

It was called Breakfast Creek Hotel and is a pretty building but my night shots are not so great. The steak was to die for! We came home stuffed, fell straight into bed and I slept the entire night - so maybe my jet lag was not to be this time.It's now Friday morning - and a beautiful one at that:

It's not as pretty as Gary's picture, but then again - I will never come across a day like that to photograph!

3 comments:

Court said...

Quadruple X! That steak should have been pretty darn amazing! ;)

Sarah said...

Hey, that's what I was going to say! I've heard of triple X but never Quadruple X. Scandalous.

Lori Hurst said...

It's a type of beer and they don't seem phased that it is just one x away from very scandalous! In fact they probably think it is hilarious.