11 October 2009

Space Food Sticks and Queues


Sometime this morning:

Gary: (reading my blog on his blackberry): "I don't see me shaking hands with Mr Heart Healthy" (or "Mr Heart Attack", or "Stupid Stuffed Heart Thingy" - I don't recall what he actually called it, but I knew what he was talking about).

Lori: "A girls gotta make choices, it didn't make the cut."

Been thinking about it and thought ... I'm bored, my last post was a boring and a downer, I am going to randomly post crap on my blog to avoid any adult responsibilities whatsoever.

So ... my friend:

Here's to a long, healthy life, Gary (I am sure that shaking Mr Heart Healthys hand is going to guarantee you are heart attack free ... I can just feel it ... or maybe it's all that bicycle riding?):

Oh! And how could I have possibly forgotten his 'secret weapon'? We went shopping at Woolies before we headed to Sea World on Saturday - so he stocked up on things that he was going to need on the ride - energy drinks, trail mix and these disgusting little critters:

I believe he actually 'yellped' when he saw them - both of us reminiscing having space food sticks as children, but mine, I told him were peanut butter based rolled in evaporated milk. To that, Gary standing in the middle of the aisle of the supermarket said: "The ones I had were actually edible". (Butthead)

I thought he could buy them on the merit of the funky 60's - 70's packaging. And in the cart they went. He got home and decided to sample them before he was on the road and made me take a bite ...

... not only was it packaged in the 60's - I think that is when they were made! Most disgusting thing I have eaten in a very long time. But Gary loves them - go figure.

Space Food Sticks - a total blast from the past - I guess it is fitting we bought them at Woolworths (I am picturing they have been sitting on a stock shelf somewhere since the 60's)



OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES:

This is a post that I thought about writing but decided it didn't deserve a post spot - so I am sticking it here - because I am still avoiding ...

If you are female and you have been anywhere with lots of people you are going to understand this dilemma: the lines at the loos. Am I right? Man I hate that - why the designers can't just double the stalls for the ladies is beyond me - but ... there you go.

We were at Sea World and Gary was waiting for me every time we headed for the loos. I actually used an open handicapped one once to avoid a line of 20 women - go ahead JUDGE ME! I wasn't going to wait and IT WAS OPEN!

That was Saturday. Come Sunday we end up at a park with 10,000 bike riders and their family and loved ones wandering around. Those two stalls in the parks lavatory was not going to cut it.

What to do? What to do?

There was a big semi truck that said on the side: "Just Loos" and ... pretty much thats what it was - plus a hand washing station. Equally split for the Ladies and the Gents. But - in a race where at least 90% of the riders were male - guess who queued up and guess who got to just breeze into the loos? Turnabout is fun every now and again ...

4 comments:

Cherri said...

I totally identify with your loos cumment - been on the wrong side of that decision many times - on a band trip one time, the male band directors, seeing that they would have to wait about an hour to get all their female students through the line, went into the men's side, waited until it was empty, then stood guard at the door while all the girls relieved themselves. They kept out the boys for a few minutes, and I'm sure they were not too happy, but we all loved them!

Sarah said...

I've never heard of those space food stick things but they sound pretty disgusting.

Lori Hurst said...

Ah, Sarah - you are too young to remember space food sticks - your loss entirely ...

Jennifer said...

I used the men's loo in San Fran when I was 17. I just hollered in, and they didn't care. I was probably safer in there than Andy. I was actually with Andy (it was before he dumped me) and he was P to the ISSED.

But I've done it again. Albeit in gas stations where there is really no reason to have gender-specific bathrooms since they are just one toilet big, no stalls. Still, I'm surprised in those long lines of women I was the only one to do it.