21 October 2009

I Even Approve of the Beer Selection ...


Made you look!

Seriously - I know most of my readers know that due to my religion, I don't drink alcohol, but due to my actions - probably wonder about this...

Here's the thing ...

Went to the new Krogers for the first time this morning and saw this bicycle:



It is the logo for New Belgium Brewing - a micro(?) brewery in Colorado (didn't find the beer, didn't look that long - but I can't imagine they would have their bike prominently displayed without selling the beer). My sister happens to work there. She can get one bike like this a year and my oldest sister got it this year - I am seriously jealous!

We have a deeper relationship with the company:

Charlie is their 'unofficial mascot'.

When we were moving back from Norway, we knew we were going to be in a hotel for an extended period of time looking for a house, so I shipped Charlie to Marci, my sister, to watch until we had a house with a yard. She already had been watching our boxer, Aggie - our dog we had before moving to Norway. Due to the 6 month quarantine in Norway (they are a rabies free country and take it very seriously) - we did not take her with us, and Marci wouldn't give her back (we knew she wouldn't) so now she had both our dogs - she is a good sport.

New Belgium Brewery let you take dogs to work, but apparently Aggie is not a dog who enjoys the work environment. Charlie, on the other hand thrived there! She went with the people touring the brewery, she wandered around and everyone fell in love with her and gave her doggie treats. She greeted guests at the front door. Marci said there was a gruff old Vietnam War vet who wouldn't speak to anyone - just did his job and went home .... until Charlie came along - and he became an entirely different person. He only spoke to Charlie, though.

Charlie has a way with people - and if you don't just love her to pieces - something is wrong with you! When it was time to ship her to us in our new house, she had another employee come and ask her how much it would cost to keep her. Marci said, wisely, that we weren't going to sell her for any amount. She said it was a bit lonely after Charlie left and sent me some photos:


Charlie in Marci's office


Playing 'guard dog' while visitors look on.


Posing with the hats (note the bike)


My favorite photo and Charlies favorite place to hang.


Back to Kroger. In addition to my beer selection approval, the flowers are to die for! They had this huge fall bouquet for $10.00 - who could pass that up?

Their are so many they don't fit very well in one vase and I am not the best flower arranger - but I think I will need to put them in a few vases and spread throughout the house.






I will try to restrain myself from posting any more photos of my fall flowers!

The only thing - I drink a fruit smoothie every morning (ok, I'm addicted) - and they had the right brand, and had tons and tons of every flavor but the one I drink: Mighty Mango - they were totally out - dang!

I will get over it and maybe even stop wandering / taking photos in the beer section ....

3 comments:

Val and Marceil said...

Well, did you buy the bike along with the flowers?

Dad

Lori Hurst said...

It wasn't for sale - display only ... didn't buy the beer either.

Jennifer said...

You are the only person in Texas to recognize the bike. The only one. Pretty exciting, don't you think?

VERY good story, and why is it that the better a store is stocked, the more likely it is that they won't have the one thing you want? Always.