04 October 2009

Purple


After arriving in Australia, I got in a taxi to get to the apartment. The first thing I noticed were purple trees everywhere. No leaves, just purple flowers and they were beautiful! I wanted to get a photo (of course) to share and every time I took a photo, the tree looked washed out, and mangy - not like they looked as we were zooming by in the taxi.

Gary and I on Saturday went to take photos and again I took photos of the purple tree, but still - mangy and scraggly. Then Gary told me about a purple tree just down the cliff from the church - so what did I do? Yeah I skipped Sunday School and took a hike to the elusive purple tree. What we had been noticing was that there were a bunch of purple flowers on the ground beneath the purple trees, thus indicating that they had been lush with purple flowers, but that time was slipping away and I might not get my photo.

From above the tree looked good enough, but I had been fooled before. But off I went down all the steps to the bottom in my Sunday finest and heels to take a picture of a freaking tree. Once I got there, I was impressed - it was more lush than any others I had seen, but still not perfect:

I did notice that if I pointed my camera at a particular lush part of the tree with the white clouds in the background, I got a sampling of what they looked like when driving by and probably what they looked like before half of their blossoms fell off:


Here is one that is scraggly that was at the top, but I liked the sky and clouds behind it and the pesky bird that kept mewling at me (the birds sound like cats over here - well, one type anyway - so they meow):

So - my elusive purple tree. Not great, but shows how pretty they are and were with all their blossoms on. They are everywhere so Brisbane is awash in purple right now.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Those purple trees are gorgeous! As are your pink roses.

So how does it work over there with it being Conference weekend? It sounds like you still had church on Sunday?

Lori Hurst said...

They delay it a week. So it is next Saturday and Sunday.

Sarah said...

That is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen. I didn't even know something like that existed. It's breathtaking.