07 October 2009

Garys Magical Room


I have mentioned multiple times that Gary and I sleep in different bedrooms, but at the risk of a new user stumbling upon this and wondering about us as a couple - I will reiterate that the problem is "Queen Beds + Gary's height at 6'3" = no where for Lori to comfortably sleep since Gary sleeps on an angle". Thus we start together, but me being the insomniac, wait until I hear his steady breathing: that 'I'm asleep' breathing and sneak off to the other room and get rest with the full use of my extremities and not forced to lay in a fetal position all night on my itty bitty corner of the bed. We are definitely a king size bed couple. There ... I feel so much better and my marriage is still intact - albeit weirdly intact - it is solid - just trying to survive the best way we know how.

So ... this morning I am lying in my bed, the shades are drawn because crazy drill people rappel down and start diddling with our balcony at odd hours and I would rather not have men only 3 feet away watching me get out of bed and run for cover. I also have the flue or hot flashes or something hideous that has me sweating and shivering all at the same time. I hear Gary yell: "Lori, come here". Me: "Why?" Gary: "Just come here". I grumble and stumble out of bed and wander into his room expecting to see a unicorn or something standing in the middle of his room.

Nope - he tells me to get in bed ... what ever. (Go with me here - it is G rated). And he says: "Isn't this nice?" Me: "What" still shivering and grumpy. Gary: "The sun - hitting you in the face - you could tan in the bed every morning". I can't remember what I said - something snide and grumpy. Gary: "How can you not be in a good mood waking up to sunshine hitting you in the face every morning?" Now I just want to slug him because he is so damn happy and jolly and what not. But as I lay there, under his new wool duvet that breathes - is heavy but not hot (it IS magical) - I start to feel better, stop shivering and sweating and relax. Me: "You have the better room, no fair, I hate you" (yeah I really said it). Gary: "What are you thirteen?" Me: "No, twelve - it sounds better and when I tell you that I hate you (and you know that you are my most favorite person walking this earth) that is my 'twelve stage' - thus I am twelve". Gary: "Okaaay".

We lay there and enjoy the sun until it is almost gone off the bed, then I decide I want photos - of course it is too late to get the full sun effect, but who is going to get up and take photos when they are lying, relaxing in the sun enjoying the view out their wall of glass window?


Almost gone: just added to show the view - the first photo after I looked at it didn't do the room justice. It is, as I also told Gary the best bedroom we have ever had - and I do feel a wee bit of ownership so I say 'we'.


And since I was off my game yesterday - with the flu or something - A.J. was wondering why my photo didn't have a 'foot shot'. So this one is for you A.J. - size 7 (impressive guess) feet with a view:


So, although I didn't see a unicorn in Gary's bedroom this morning - it is still magical. I was laughing with Gary about something at the end - and if it can pull me out of the hell I was shivering in - it is truly a magical room ...


Side note: Gary at one point mentioned that he could just lay there every morning and tan in his bed for a half and hour. I told him you couldn't tan through glass - I had heard that somewhere. He does not agree. Urban Legend? Myth? I don't know - anyone have a clue? I thought it was a physics principle that bent the rays of sunlight coming through the glass plus slowed the wavelength to something that was not the same as natural sunlight. Off to Wiki and Google - "sunlight through glass" I guess - then on to reading more about New Zealand.

Googling Results:

"Yes, window glass block the vast majority of shortwave UV-B and UV-C, which causes the most tanning (and skin damage), while passing most of the longer wavelength UV-A, which gives very little tanning results"

I rock!!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I need a room like that right about now. Especially the part about not sharing it with a spouse.

The Sullengers said...

What a view - I bet you never want to leave?

Shel said...

Yes, you do rock!!

Wow, to wake up to sunshine in your face and to be giddy about it... that is life right there!!

Kristie said...

I think I would be mad if the sunshine was in my face when I first woke up. I like to sleep in a cave!

I am a little shocked about the not tanning through windows thing because I have gotten sunburns on my arm while driving on long drives with sun beating in my window. Huh?

A.J. said...

In an earlier life I was a welder, Lori and Google are right. The lenses that welders wear are dark to protect the retina from the intense light, but it is the glass lenses that protects your eyes from the U.V. rays that would sunburn. It is a very painful experience, similar to having fine sand thrown in your eyes with no way to flush them out. Time and alcohol is the only remidy that I have found that works.;-)
P.S. Thanks for the FOOT SHOT!

Cherri said...

You do rock, but I like a cave too - unless said Sun comes up at 8 am!