14 October 2009

Reflection


Five am - my eyes pop open. Why? It is light outside. Brisbane does not believe in daylight savings time. Regardless of what time I go to bed (2:00am) I am up by 5:00 - just the way it is.

Got up this morning and realized that 'crazy drill guys' had finished working on the balcony and that I didn't need to have my drapes closed any longer. Swooshed open the drapes and looked outside. My mouth dropped in astonishment. I couldn't believe my eyes. I ran and grabbed all 3 of my cameras, ran out on the balcony and started snapping away.

A hundred pictures or so later, I ran into Gary's room and told him to wake up ... in that excited: 'lookie what Santa brought' voice, I told him he had to see this. He looked at me like I had two heads each with ten or so eyes with a bit of a 'I wish I could lop both of them off her right now' look thrown in. I explained the unbelievable phenomenon that was going on ... he was groggily unimpressed. Lays back down and said that he would see my photos later.

Fine ... out to the balcony take another 100 photos or so (series of panoramic shots add up). Put them on the computer - look at them - sort of dark - so grainy - ick. Grab my camera ... "Oh, please let it still be there!" Yes! Two hundred more shots.

All the while thinking ... 'It's a freaking river - a river that moves - how, how, how in the world could the water be glass? And thus being glass - a perfect reflection of Story Bridge:




It's going to be a fantastic day. With a start like that above - how could things go any way, but? A photographer, even a bad photographer like me, lives for the moment they can get a perfect shot, an unusual shot, a beautiful shot. Oh, what a way to start a morning!

Happy Thursday!

5 comments:

Liz said...

that pic took my breath away. and if you are a bad photographer none of us stand a chance!

Laura said...

Those are amazing pictures! What a sight to see first thing in the morning.

Chelle said...

These are such amazing photographs! I am so glad that you shared them with us. You are a great photographer there is no way I could have taken those shots.

Kristie said...

Those pictures are so cool. You have such a photographer's eye. I probably wouldn't have notice how beautiful that is if I had been looking at it in person, but your pictures are amazing!

Sarah said...

#1 You are NOT a bad photographer. Your pictures are amazing.

#2 I, like Kristie, probably wouldn't have even noticed that even if I was standing on the balcony myself.

#3 You better not be lying about Thursday like you were about Wednesday or I'll start my song lyric comments again.

For instance...

What is that bridge I seeee?
Staring straight back at meeee
Why does that reflection show
what it is insiiiiiddde?

That doesn't even make sense but I'll still do it.