07 October 2009

In Search of 'Middle Earth' ...


Been a good girl (except for the short quick nap that Gary walked in on when he came home unexpectedly for lunch) scouring my books and the web for an itinerary for New Zealand. Of course - MY itinerary won't be like everyone elses - it will be 'spectacular places to photograph in New Zealand' - and my google search engine is not helping with that AT ALL.

Found a few coffee table books with photos of New Zealand - and I might have to buy one just for the photos - but wanted to purchase the tickets, etc before I left Australia and won't have that book until I get home (unless I miraculously walk into a bookstore here and find something ... probably tomorrows quest ...).

BUT ... I did find out something VERY interesting in all my studies of New Zealand. The Lord of the Rings was filmed entirely in New Zealand - if all the web sites are to be believed. Now - how to find Middle Earth .... (if all I got photography wise was the beautiful scenery in the Lord of the Rings series - I would be a happy gal). So I have been searching for the very elusive Middle Earth ...

Any clues?

So in November I will be going from the Land Down Under to Middle Earth ... not to bad for a Thanksgiving holiday ...

9 comments:

kimberly said...

I totally could have told you that about LotR and New Zealand. I am an expert in all things pertaining to those movies. This is what happens when you see the entire trilogy a combined total of 18 times in theaters. (Does that make me a sad person? Probably. I'm totally okay with that.)

I am jealous of your trip!

Lori Hurst said...

I found a map and the movies were filmed all the flip over the entire two islands of New Zealand! It labels them this or that - things I don't recognize since I watched it once and read the entire Tolkien series in High School - but that was a millinia ago - so have forgotten.

It is hysterical - it will point to a location and say - this is where (ok, the main hobbit - I forget his name - THIS is how bad I am) was stabbed with a daggar, this place was where the trees fought some dude - and on and on. I NEED an expert! I need to watch the series again about 18 times ... you say? That might get me to a position where I will know where all those pretty shots of country side are and not one little spot beside a tree were hobbit guy was stabbed.

I may never find middle earth ...

Lori Hurst said...

Aha!! Frodo!! This might just take a while ...

Sarah said...

moving from the land down under up to middle earth huh? reminds me of a song I once heard...

Lori's movin on uuppppp,
tooo middle earth,
to a deluxe apartment
filled with miiiirrth.
mooooving on uuupp....

Cherri said...

What a great thing to look forward to. Waht are your plans for Christmas? Houston or Australia? I love to tell my friends that my brother lives in Australia and my sister-in-law that he is still happily married to lives in Houston - it is bound to get an odd look or two!

Lori Hurst said...

Sarah - you are SO in trouble. I got up about 1:00am (10:00am your time) and read your comment. Seriously had that stupid 'We're Movin On Up' song stuck in my head until about 4 in the morning ... and I hated that show!

Cherri - yeah - when I say my husband lives in Australia I get well looks of pity - like he just hasen't told me yet that he's not comeing heme and I'm too stupid to figure out whats going on.

Lori Hurst said...

Oh - Cherri again. We are going to be home on Christmas day - have Jessie with us for a few days, then Gary, Ryan and I (yeah we talked Ryan into it) are flying out the next day to Australia - we haven't decided if we are going to go back to New Zealand, Cairns, or Melborne (Gary has been to Melborne a lot and knows places to find kangaroos and koalas in bunches in the wild). So I will work on planning that next ...

Sarah said...

WHAT?!?! You hated The Jeffersons? Say it isn't so!

Fish don't fry in the kitchen
Beans don't burn on the grill
Took a whole lot of tah-ryying
Just to get up that hill.

Now we all in the big league
Takin our turn at bat.
As long as we're living
it's you and me baby
ain't nothing wrong with that

(I danced the whole time I typed that).

Lori Hurst said...

Ok, I only knew the words: "Were moving on up .... to the East side" and it ends there. So nice to have all the words now that it will be stuck with me all day!!!

(I didn't like it because there was a lot of yelling and when I was little - I freaked when people yelled - my parents NEVER did) Now - you should see me scream like a banshee at my kids, dog, maybe husband (but he never gives me a reason) .... or maybe you shouldn't ...