24 January 2009

This is why I am not a CSI Technician

This ... and the stench of a dead body. 'This' being the sneaking suspicion that it is 20 hours of drudgery picking through garbage, carpet fibers, dirt ... you name it for every 5 minutes of excitement. They happen to only show the 'eureka' moments on TV, thus making something horribly dull seemingly not so.

Now, in my chosen profession, I never felt like there was a dull moment ... until today. Back when I actually got paid to code, I usually programmed in assembler code designing operating systems - basically coding in the hexadecimal equivalent to those pesky 0's and 1's you are always hearing about when it comes to computers. It required memorization, skill, and cunning to figure out where you messed up - but not patience (OK, maybe a little).

Today I have been designing a web site for Gary for scouting and coding it all in HTML rather than using some software package to make it for me (THAT would be cheating). That is all well and good. I was tired of breaking my silly one just to figure out how to fix it or change it. But ... he wanted photos - about 300 of them. This involved making thumbnails for all of them, uploading both the pictures and thumbnails to the server, writing a line of code for each thumbnail/photo combination (you click on the thumbnail and it takes you to the full size version of the photo).

A screen full of code:

I'm all for learning new things, but after 5 lines of code you have it down, 10 and you are yawning, 20 and you are wondering where your aide is (yes, this is why it was not boring - we dumped the crappy stuff off on aides).

So why do it? Well, I sort of like Gary and I said I would do it, but most of all? Well, Rodney the frog is staring at me disapprovingly from atop my pile of 'girly stuff' and I am reminded that it cost Gary $35.00 and he is off to get me another one with not two, but FOUR legs next time!

So I code ...

Gotta go

3 comments:

Court said...

Lori, I am so impressed!

After all of your hard work, your code-typing hands will feel like pure bliss with the Aveda hand relief, and Gary will for sure want to smooch you with gratitude with your sweet pink lip gloss on!

P.S. Rodney the frog is totally freakin' me out. Props to Gary on one smelly yet hilarious souvenir.

Jennifer said...

I imagine Valentines from the two of you: You can print a screen of code and he can stuff something into a dead something and stick it on a keychain. Love!

Lori Hurst said...

You know, we can be boring when we try very, very hard. Valentines Day was the day Rachael was born so Gary was always afraid of doing anything. I finally told him (I know it comes as a huge surprise) that if he didn't start giving me flowers on Valentines Day and acting normal that I would hurt him. Worked like a charm!