30 January 2009

A Question -

So ... is it camping when said camping is exactly 7.45 miles and 14 minutes from ones home? And by home I mean my house - in the middle of a 'sort of' city, OK, maybe 'town' ... but still?

Gary is off camping with the scouts and as he puts it "It is right next to Foster High School".

Camping involves driving, potty stops in wretchedly disgusting bathrooms, more driving, jerky to keep your strength up on the long drive, weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth if you forgot something ... because, well, you couldn't just run right home and get it. Camping is being out in the wilderness where wolves could eat you, and you can see a bazillion stars because there is no ambient light nearby (oh, say like those big lights that light up a football field).

He says they are fishing, so apparently there is a lake and I am sure it is tree filled and all wildernessy, but if you can jump in your car and in five minutes grab a Big Mac?

I just don't know.

9 comments:

Cherri said...

Now that is my idea of camping - actually I would buy the dinner at Micky D's, then go fishing for a while, eat s'mores and sing songs, and come home and sleep in my nice soft bed. Camping consists of cooking s'mores - anytime they are made you are camping!

kimberly said...

Camping to me is staying at a Motel 6. The outdoors and I are not best buds.

Laura said...

I say anytime I'm not sleeping in a nice, soft bed - that's camping! Even if it's only 1/2 mile away from home.

Liz said...

I'm thinkin' no dice! Camping must always end with you wondering why the hell people choose to camp. It's sposta suck. That's the fun of it.

Jennifer said...

Camping requires a pinata.

Lori Hurst said...

Pinata? As in brightly colored, filled with goodies, whack the crap out of it pinata? 'Cause I'm thinking ... well ... sleeping bag, tent, cooler filled with diet coke? Your camping and my camping seem to be on different planets. Mine being filled with dirt, hard surfaces, bugs .... yours - well filled with parties!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lori Hurst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

We actually do have a birthday celebration most times we go camping. Usually more than one. Huh. But the pinata, yeah, that's a necessity.