11 January 2009

Charlies Acting Weird ... Again

Let me preface this with Charlie is creepy-smart. She is the smartest dog we have owned. OK, and I am out of bed, but what do you expect when you go to bed at 6:30.

As you can see in the 'spooning' photo in an earlier post, Gary and Charlie are virtually inseparable. She adores him. Mainly because he throws a Frisbee for her. Catching Frisbees probably comes before food and water on Charlies list of importance.

When Gary pulls out a suitcase and starts packing, Charlie starts getting weird. She has figured out that when that big thing with all the clothes goes out the door with Gary, he doesn't come home for awhile. But she always has a sliver of hope. If a dog can look depressed, Charlie has it down while Gary is packing and she is watching.

It starts out with her sitting by the door or on the staircase looking out the door. You can't get her to move, she is holding vigil that maybe this time it was just some cruel joke or mistake and he will be back any minute. I was in bed and usually Charlie would be right there where she always is when Gary is not in the bed, sleeping like a human on Garys side, her head on his pillow ... worshipping his scent, I suppose. I walked out to tell her he wasn't coming home and to come lay down by me. She was at the door staring out. She turned her head to look at me for a second, then just turned it back and continued staring out the door.

Then she gives up. She figures out he is not coming home and goes off into some corner of the house to moon over the fact that her master is gone and she does not know when her next Frisbee fix is going to come. I have no idea where she is right now - I have even called her name.

No go.

1 comment:

Alisha said...

Dogs are so smart. When I dropped my dogs off at the dog sitter before our 2 week trip they literally lived by the front door for 2 days before they realized that no matter how long they wait, I'm not coming back. The lady had to feed them at the front door and everything. Gotta love those dogs. They're nothing if not loyal.