17 January 2009

RENT


Been watching Rent on our new HD TV and surround sound and cannot seem to stop. I don't know if any of you have seen it (or would like it for that matter) it has a few strikes against it that I personally don't care about, but y'all probably do. The music on the other hand ... is fantastic. It is so fun to crank the speakers on our surround system up till the windows are rattling and just listen to these talented people sing. The beginning song makes me think of many things, but mostly makes me feel good. I decided to put it on my play list on 'play' so it starts annoyingly right up, will turn it off later. Hope you don't mind. I also put the words to the song below.


Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes,
five hundred twenty five thousand moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes -
how do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee.
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.

In five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes -
how do you measure a year in the life?

How about love?

How about love?

How about love?

Measure in love.

Seasons of love.

Seasons of love.

Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes!
Five hundred twenty five thousand journeys to plan.
Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes -
how do you measure the life of a woman or man?

In truths that she learned, or in times that he cried.
In bridges he burned, or the way that she died.

It’s time now to sing out, tho the story never ends
let's celebrate remember a year in the life of friends.

Remember the love!

Remember the love!

Remember the love!

Measure in love.

Seasons of love!

Seasons of love.

If you can get past the 'R' rating (for probably the) lesbians, gays, drag queens and aids, I swear it is a fantastically beautiful movie all about living in the face of dying and making each minute count. And also everyone living together in peace - all those I mentioned above along with what one might consider 'normal' people being best of friends and loving each other in spite of their differences.

Note: Apparently the music shuts off right before it ends and since it is the only thing on the play list, starts over again. Annoying, but the only one I could find of the Movie Cast (mostly the original Broadway cast) singing it. As Kimberly would say .... Bah!!!
Addendum: I added more songs so that at least it would not go in a continous loop. I tried to stay 'PG'.

5 comments:

Kathee said...

Be sure to watch the documentary on the CD--it tells the amazing but tragic story of the writer who worked on Rent for years, but died just before opening day.

Lori Hurst said...

Oh, I most definitely have - we bought this when we lived in Norway so I have watched it for many years. Now it just sounds so much better!

I cry through the whole movie because the music is so overwhelming to me (ok and I love Angel and (s)he dies), and I cry harder during the documentary because I know how it is going to end - he is going to die - and never (maybe) know what great sucess his production went on to. You couldn't write that documentary as fiction and get anyone to believe it!

My only consolation is that my theory is he wrote himself into the show as 'Mark' the guy alone, observing everyone with his camera - so he lives forever in his production.

And welcome! Loved your photos from Portugal, France, sounds like you are going dog sledding (Gary and Ryan did that) and I owe you an e-mail of our time in Norway - in fact I wonder if you are in the same ward we were in, we met outside of town a bit even though we lived in Holmenkollen and the church downtown was closer - wonder which one you go to?

kimberly said...

I have to admit I'm not this musical's number one fan and singing this song every year in high school choir has soured it, but I adore some of the actors who are in the movie. Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp, Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs (who are married!). These some great Broadway performers with powerhouse voices.

Did you know that Rent is coming through Houston later this spring? Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp are touring with it. A couple of my friends are going and I thought I'd pass the info along!

Lori Hurst said...

Thanks for the info! I will have to get with Leslie to figure out how to buy tickets!

You missed the cutie pie: Jesse L Martin - he has the CUTEST smile!

Anonymous said...

wow, rent is coming here? cool. sining the songs over and over again does sour it but since I haven't in a way long time your blog was so refreshing!!! BTW Love your web designs.
Rashida