02 January 2009

Calendars

I love calendars. Don't know why, I just like to know what day it is from my desk which ever way I look.

I remember reading in a few peoples blogs how they enjoy a new month - to be able to turn the page and start with a completely new page, free of all the junk that gets written on their calendar throughout the month.

Since I keep everything in my electronic calendar on my computer, phone and hand held, my months stay pretty clean so I hadn't really thought of that before.

But as I got out my calendars for 2009, I realized that I liked the blankness / clean slate of them all. I didn't feel like making any resolutions this year since I rarely keep them and it makes me discouraged and cynical in making any, so I didn't give it a moments thought.

But as I looked at these calendars surrounding my desk, I realized that the year was a blank slate - and I was going to start filling the days regardless of whether or not I made resolutions, whether or not I actually wrote something down on a calendar - the days would be filled with my doing ... or not doing. Filled with how I lived my life, reacted to situations ... all of it.

It gave me pause for a second.

I am struggling with some heavy things right now and it has been hard, and scary - not knowing what the future would bring for my children and our family. These are things that are not totally in my control, but the decisions I make, how I react to situations that will arise, how I fill my day, how I deal with the stress ... that is all totally up to me.

I guess I will make a resolution that I work to make each day a day where I do the best I can - and if the best that day is laying in bed trying to get over an illness, or stop a migraine then I am going to try to know that was the best I could do and call it a good day. The rest, well it is going to happen, and I am sort of just along for the ride.

I choose to enjoy the sites along the way.

4 comments:

Cherri said...

Great idea - try a little harder to be a little better - and to recognize the good things you do.

Chelle said...

I love your ideas! You are really a gifted writer. I've been thinking you should write a book. I just finished reading Faraway Child about a family with an autistic child. It was so interesting.

With your life experiences, I'm sure you've got a dozen books inside of you.

Liz said...

Great ideas. I need to resolve to do my best, and especially to know what my best is, and let the guilt go. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shel said...

In reading your blog entry I thought of what I just read... Our book club book (which I have only read the foreward...) seems to have some good and powerful thoughts that I find will be helpful to me in my resolutions this year (and always!)... the book is Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl. In the foreward it says we give our suffering meaning by the way in which we respond to it and that we cannot control what happens to us in life, but we can always control what we will feel and do about what happens to us.

Thanks for the awesome insight and I choose to enjoy the sites along the way, too!