14 January 2009

I am an American

** Disclamer: this is not really aimed at anyone, anything or any post - I have just been thinking about it today because of a post and sometimes things just come out of my fingers. The stupid part is posting it ... and I warned you I get stupid when Gary is gone (not the post, I stand by my post - the stupid part is posting it) **

I am an American

That’s it, for better or worse I am an American. That is all.

I am an American who wishes that everyone had a decent house to live in, food to eat and equal school systems. Why? Because these are my sisters and brothers and I love them … all.

I am an American whose brother is an Air Force helicopter pilot and a hero from rescuing injured soldiers from behind enemy lines and has risked his life countless times saving other Americans and Afghanis who needed help. ANYONE who needed help. He is brave and funny and my hero.

I am an American who’s gay sister does not have the same rights as me and that makes me sad because I love her to death and would do anything for her, why? Because she would do anything for me – she is the most kindhearted person I know and it hurts me when she is hurt. I love her because it’s easy, you should love her because Christ said “love everyone” but so many of my fellow (Christian – since I am quoting Christ) Americans don’t.

I am an American who lived in Europe and was reviled for being and American and NEVER backed down. Even when the questions they had, like why everyone in America did not have equal health care like they did, I could not easily answer. Because I love this country and the freedoms that it offers me. (To write something like this, say. I might lose the respect of some, a friend or two, but I can still say it and not be arrested…)

I am an American who wishes that that everyone in America was good, and kind, and respectful and hardworking, and I know it is not true but wish we could find a way to work together when problems arise. And I think we do a pretty good job of it … maybe not, but the system is in place is a good one.

I am an American who worked hard to get where I am and enjoy the benefits of my labors and education and know that it would not be fair to pay everyone equally for unequal work. But think sometimes we pass by those injured, and helpless, mentally deficient and don’t give them a moments notice. That scares me having a mentally handicapped daughter. What is going to happen to her when I am gone? Is anyone going to really care? Is she going to be taken care of and given the respect she deserves? I am a realist and know I am in deep shit on this one – I don’t see a happy ending. That eats at my heart daily.

I am an American who is very faithful in my religion, but respects that other Americans do not share my beliefs. That is what America is about: freedom. So I am confused when issues come up that seems to want to force my beliefs on others who do not share them. These are people who are equally American with the same freedoms, or so I thought. And trust me, this makes me an outsider more than anything, and it confuses me more than I can say. I wish we could all live together in peace, but I cannot see that happening in the near future.

I am an American who lives in Texas. And to me …. well … that’s just geography.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I respect you more. It was not stupid to post. Blogs are not just for laughs. I also agree with you. We don't have the same ideas on how to accomplish all those things, but we want to accomplish all those things. God bless America (and everyone else)!

Shel said...

Lori, you are awesome! I am an american, too! I love this great country we live in and I do love this great state with a passion. I appreciate and respect political differences.. I feel that it is our right being Americans. No reason to feel that you said anything wrong... no one is upset. You are entitled to feel the way you do and still have your friends support and love you and they do..

Love ya'
Shel-

Carol Beck said...

I think you are getting WAY too upset about this whole thing! I DID NOT SAY YOU WERE NOT AN AMERICAN! I just used the reference about people coming to the US and complaining about it to show you how I felt about people coming to Texas and complaining about the people there. I thought this whole thing was over when we said we were going to agree to disagree! Why are you keeping this going? I was over it and I thought you were too!

Carol Beck said...

I'm not trying to force my beliefs on you either! I don't know where you got that idea. I just stated what I believe.

Lori Hurst said...

I'm sorry Carol, I really, really didn't mean it that way at all. I don't even know what you mean by saying I was not an American. I just realized today that I am not a Texan, I am just and American, that is all I meant by it. I never was a Utahn, a Californian, and was thinking about it today and I write things when they come to me. This as I say was honestly not targeted at anyone and I see now should have gone into my 'personal writing' folder and not on my blog since the last thing I wanted to do was offend someone. I was just stating my beliefs. I enjoyed the comments and the differences that we all have and can still be friends, but this was written because I was musing the fact that I appreciate this great country, not in any way your comments - it just got me thinking but your comments now and then in no way offended me - I was just worried I had offended you. And yet again, I have, and for that I apologize.