17 January 2009

Maybe it was all that CSI ...

Day seven with Gary gone and a double whammy - Ryan is gone to a weekend competition for a club. More on that later. So all by my little lonesome.

Gary called his Saturday morning, my Friday evening (+16 hours (his time) does not make live communication very easy). He was headed out to do some sight seeing and swim in the ocean. And if you have been reading the news: A SHARK INFESTED OCEAN. Our conversation is typical for us, what can I say?

After a few pleasantries, questions about Ryan, Gary's plans for the day, the usual ....

Gary: Pissed anyone off today?

Me: I don't think so, but you know I never really know ...

Gary: Ahhh, the night is still young, I have faith in you.

Me: Thanks, and have fun swimming - don't get eaten by a shark ... unless it is on company time. (I apparently get grundles of money if he dies while on company time)
Bye

Gary: Bye

It doesn't seem very loving, but y'all just don't know us very well ... really.

Like the words to a song on the (rock) station I listen to:

"Lucky I'm in love with my best friend,
lucky to have been where I have been ..."

.
.
.
Ryan is at a HOSA competition. It stands for Health Occupations Students of America. Mainly girls who want to be nurses Ryan said. (The dog...)

So what is he going for? The Forensics Medicine competition. You heard me FORENSICS Medicine: dead bodies - shot, flayed, cut up in pieces - that forensics medicine.

The team goes into a room with a dead body or body parts (not really ...) and they get all the particulars - decomp, all the clues, all the lovely little details to determine a) if this was a natural or unnatural death, b) how they died c) I have no freaking clue. I guess whoever comes closest to the actual circumstances wins. I have no idea Ryan does not say much about it.

It seems a bit odd. I blame myself. I was fascinated by forensic medicine before it became cool to be interested in it and you were just, well ... creepy. But that has never stopped me before. I was in pre-med for a year in college and got all of the biology, anatomy, chemistry, etc needed for most of the books I buy on forensic medicine to make sense. Is my son wanting to go into this in college? No. I really have no idea what he is doing at the competition for the second year in a row, but it's a club and that is a positive step for our very shy, introverted Ryan, so we go with it.

I will probably be a little bit more normal when he comes back and I have someone other than the dog to talk to. Charlie is starting to look extremely ... nervous.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love that stuff, too. I was all over Patricia Cornwell for years. Plus, I watch NCIS where there is a med student (I'm pretty sure, he might be doing internship or something?) in the morgue, and it looks so interesting and, dare I say it, fun.

Lori Hurst said...

Patricia Cornwall was my favorite author - hands down ... until she got weird and starting writing weirder, more paranoid things. Wish she would get her act together - I would love a good book from her these days. But her forensics - that has always been excellent, that part has been staying up with the times.

I'm seriously jonesing for a good book I can hunker down and cuddle under my winter down duvet and just read today .. lazy, but that's what I want and no book seems to jump out and say 'read me!'

Cherri said...

Lori
So good to know that your relationship with Gary sounds like my relationship with Steve - best friends and pretty private.

I think Ryan's club sounds awesome. My best friend wishes she had gone into that instead of teaching math. Now at 42 she feels like it is too late, but who knows. I'm glad that he is part of it.