20 January 2009

Mercurial

mer⋅cu⋅ri⋅al /mərˈkyʊəriəl/ [mer-kyoor-ee-uhl] –adjective

1. changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature.
2. animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.
3. pertaining to, containing, or caused by the metal mercury.

Gary told me yesterday that my blog was just like a thermostat - a very clear indicator of how I was feeling at the particular moment that I wrote something. I found this odd, and read back a few weeks - which, of course, includes the day my life imploded reading Ryan's essays - and I don't see it. At. All. I know that out of the three definitions above for 'mercurial' I steadfastly reside in definition number 1, but after that - my writing is a very gray area for me and I find that puzzling.

I mentioned this to Linda Randall, who reads my blog in a very stealthy fashion, and she says she agrees. If I called my mom - the trifecta of stealth readers of my blog - I have no doubt that she would agree. Why can't I see it? If I could see it, I would love to catch it, and stop it and make things sound, well ... rational is a start. Normal would be a goal.

Oh, and for those of you, like me who have no clue how things are going based on the few words I strung together above: Today is a good day. A very good day.

4 comments:

Carol Beck said...

are you sure you aren't bipolar? very, very good days and very, very bad days? ha!ha!

Jennifer said...

You fit #2. I have no medical documentation of #3.

Cherri said...

But why try to hide what you are feeling just to appear "normal"? You have a gift for writing - you lay it all out - no holds barred. That is why people like to read your blog - because normal is really another word for boring!

My only excitement is busting off the passenger side rear-view mirror as I hurried over to the church to give rides for the skating activity our YW were going to. It is a good thing I 'fessed up because Steve had already discovered the red panel that used to be on that rear-view mirror - broken in the driveway. He was actually sort of kind about it - I on the other hand, was furious at myself. What a ditz!

Lori Hurst said...

Cherri: OK, maybe normal is not what I should shoot for since it has never been a priority in the past (obviously) but sometimes I just feel too weird. Sorry about your car. I get so mad when I do something like that!