13 January 2009

Ooops!

So Charlie and I have a routine every morning. Do we walk a mile? No. Do we sit down and read scriptures together? No. Do I throw the Frisbee for her? Of course not, it would land on the neighbors roof. We go for a drive. I roll the window down and she sticks her head out. She LOVES it.

The fact that we end up at Sonic purchasing a Route 44 diet coke with cherry and lime has nothing to do with it (they are cheaper before 11:00am), just an ends to a means. It takes me all day to finish it if that is any consolation to this budding addiction of mine.

So ... this morning I am picking up before the cleaning lady comes and the house is a disaster from de-Christmasing yesterday. Ryans room is a disaster since he, once again, ignored me to pick up before she comes, so I shut the door.

Then it's time. Our time together, our bonding, special time. When I pick up my keys she always comes running and off we go. I pick up the keys. Nothing.

Me: "Charlie, lets go!"

Silence

Me: "Charlie Bear?"

Nothing

I assume she is still sulking from Gary being gone and decide to go without her. Hate to ruin a straight run and, well, that Sonic drink was calling.

Me clinking my keys: "Charlie, I'm leaving"

Nothing. Out the door I go.

Come home.

Now, generally when I come home she is at the back door jumping up and down excited. Because I am home? No. Because she gets a treat for keeping the house free of pirates and such. No Charlie.

I sit down, take a sip, relax and start to think that maybe I really do have a serious addiction. No Charlie.

Now I am worried. Is she sick? Is she dead? Ick, if she is dead, what do I do?

Then it hits me, every morning she goes and lays down on Ryans bed for her morning to noon nap. Oooops. I go upstairs and open the door to a seriously berserk dog.

She got a treat.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That made me laugh out loud. And want a route 44. There is something about a drink routine - makes me understand bars.

Laura said...

Poor, poor Charlie. I think you should have gone to Sonic again. A treat just doesn't make up for a missed ride!

Lori Hurst said...

I took her for a ride later. She had a good time. For some unexplicable reason we ended up at Sonic. I will never finish this drink.