08 July 2009

A Whole Lot of Nuthin'

So I've been reading too many blogs lately of y'all going to 'spoil you senseless' places - and I will be heading to one of those soon enough: Gary's Apartment .... but he doesn't do hair - so I decided it was time to go in and turn back the clock on my head again.

It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes to get your hair colored and highlighted - AND that I continue to do it!

The lady next to me was getting 'threaded'. She was lying back a bit and the cosmetologist was hovering over her, her hands doing an intricate dance in front of her face.

They do quite a few things at the Day Spa I go to, but this looked like she was summoning spirits to depart, and that isn't listed in the treatments offered. Looking closer - I noticed the thread she was holding and the customer periodically wiping away tears. Then I figured it out: 'threading'. I had read somewhere about this ancient practice for hair removal.

I was curious, and I needed my brows whipped into shape - so added this to my 'day of vanity'.


The cosmetologists were impressed with my lack of tears saying I must have a high pain threshold - but I'm thinking: whats a pile of hair being ripped out of my brow to my morphine?

Got home from my 'vanity' appointment, took some silly hair photos, read some mail and here I am: 4:00pm and that is all I have to show for the day.

Pathetic ...

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Pathetic, what? That sounds fabulous! I have been threading since 1995 (yes, I remember when. Senior Prom.) It is the best way to go. Your hair is just as awesome as usual, so I can see why you keep doing what you are doing.

Laura said...

Your hair looks amazing. I would guess that it does not take me as long to get my hair colored and highlighted. You have a lot of hair, lady! Gorgeous hair, which I am jealous of.

Threading is not in the cards for me. I have a low pain tolerance, and would probably be crying like a baby before I was done. Unless I had some of your morphine....

Rhonda said...

I so miss threading. People here just look at me like I'm nuts when I ask about it.

kimberly said...

Threading is fabulous! But I have to take motrin before I go in, otherwise I'll burst into tears. I have, like, no pain tolerance. At all.

Laura said...

Can you tell Kimberly and I are related?

Lori Hurst said...

Laura - yes - you seem to posess some of the same genes I've noticed!