21 July 2009

Even the Chores ...


... are adventures!!!

Slideshow of my Tuesday activities:


So, I decided to pace myself a bit and Gary needed an extension cord for his Institute class this evening so I decided to head off in a different direction and go shopping. Shopping here reminds me of Norway - European style - but probably the same way someone would shop that lived in downtown Manhattan: walk to the store and buy what you can carry back. With my backpack - can get a liter of OJ, a liter and a half of milk, and quite a bit more and not have it be a difficulty. Had I needed to get more - Gary has a small pull cart - sort of like rolling luggage that will hold a few bags of groceries. Found the place fine - but as intimated in my slide show - got turned around while exploring a beautiful little park and was very happy to find landmarks - high up in the sky to lead me back home!

Does anyone remember Woolworth's in the States? I do, when I was rather young there was one in the town I grew up in. I remember buying yarn there. It seems as if they just died off ...

But not in Australia!! It seems to be the Wal-Mart of the country (a blatant example - the 'rollback' sign ...). There is one that is a grocery store - called Woolworth's - but everyone calls it 'Wooleys'. Then there is more a regular Target, Wal-Mart one called .. um, I can't remember. When Gary gets back from teaching Institute I will ask him. They are the biggest retail stores I have seen so far!

Winter seems to be over!!! It warmed up so not so bad today.

One reason I am happy about the weather. There is a weird code in Australia for ventilation in apartments (homes too, maybe - I don't know) in all bathrooms and kitchens.

So? You ask - we have the same thing - with the fans. Yes - but here they are a wee bit more proactive about it. In our kitchen and my bathroom - the top 3 inches of the windows (very large windows, mind you) are just a screen - no glass, no covering, no way to close it! In the laundry room and Gary's bathroom, there are fans pumping in outside air - there is no on/off switch - it just runs and runs and runs.

You will never get 'sick building syndrome' in Australia!! So - when it is 6 degrees Celsius outside - it is pretty much 6 degrees Celsius in my bathroom (42 degrees Fahrenheit) or darn near close to it. With the window actually inside the whirlpool size tub / shower stall, it gets downright breezy taking a bath or shower!! I gotta tell you - getting up in the middle of the night, wandering down to the bathroom to, well, you know, sitting down and shrieking from the cold toilet seat has brought back fond memories of camping in the fall / winter!! That's exactly what going to the bathroom is like here - camping - only much cleaner!

So warmer weather means warmer bathroom means happier, less shrieking Lori!

Things really are as wonderful as they look and as I describe. Don't mean to go all Pollyanna on you - so NOT my style. But man - this is really fun! Beautiful town, beautiful weather, beautiful apartment, lots of alone time (a VITAL necessity for me), lots of computer play time, lots of quiet, lots of reading and naps, and lots of time with my hubby - all to myself!! No kids to compete with, no Charlie demanding Frisbee throws, just me and a flower wielding Gary. I cannot emphasize how wonderful it has been! Almost 30 years of marriage and this seems to be the honeymoon I would pick!!

Sorry about the daily novellas - just so much I am excited about, so much that is different and I want to share it all! Hopefully you are just ignoring my 'verbosity' if it is a problem for you!

Will work on making Wednesdays post shorter!!

3 comments:

Cherri said...

Have fun on your "honeymoon". It's cool to read your daily doings. Those bathroom seats would seriously hamper my desire to use them.

Court said...

I love chilly weather...it means you can accessorize without sweating!!

And I love Woolworths! There used to be one in Rosenberg, with a diner counter and everything (remember when all the stores had those?). It had a very distinctive smell.

You sound so happy. I'm glad you are SLEEPING and having fun!

Jennifer said...

I love all of these posts!