19 July 2009

Church

So, Sunday morning and I am headed to church for the first time, having forgot my dress the last visit. I can see Angel Moroni from the apartment windows - mocking me, beckoning me to come visit him and stop ignoring church ....

So, off we go.

A little explanation - so the above makes sense. The church is next door to the temple on the Church grounds in Brisbane. It is a small area and beautifully gardened and laid out.

We pull into what, I can honestly say - is the first 'Church' parking garageI have been in - the parking being under the church and temple. It is bizarre - the floors are painted, the walls are painted, it is SPIC-AND-SPAN CLEAN. Squeaky clean ... and I mean SQUEAKY CLEAN! The floors are painted and shiny and even going 3kph, you squeal! Get 5 or 6 cars driving to spots, turning in and it sounds like one of those action movies where there is a car chase in a parking garage! It made me laugh and definitely redefines the term 'squeaky clean' for me!

We went in and went to SacramentMtg, then promptly snuck out and headed for the gardens - Gary to read his scriptures for Institute, me to take photos. Which I did - to the chagrin to those just visiting outside and sluffing class also. They gave me dirty looks, like I had just walked off the street and was taking photos, but were too polite to kick me out - and why? I was in a dress, very respectful, very reverent, but still ... dirty looks - I don't care - wanted photos and don't see me driving there by myself to take them during the week.

Beautiful Grounds:


Angel Moroni was kind enough to 'pose' for me. Must have taken 50 photos of the guy, and he never moved and inch!



Since I can see Angel Moroni from my apartment, reason says, I can see my apartment from the grounds:




Liked this plant, and it hasn't even bloomed yet. I like that it has taken little vines and settled in rather nicely to the branch of a nearby tree:


Headed back in for the last hour - they didn't give me dirty looks there - just ignored me! I LOVE it when they do that in a new ward!


Headed home, thought I would snap a few shots of the now 'infamous' Story Bridge:




And ... since we can see Story Bridge from our apartment ... reason says ... yadda yadda yadda




Spending a beautiful Sunday afternoon after a wonderful dinner just relaxing, playing with my photos, blogging all the while listening to "Harry Potter" while Gary watches it on cable and bakes brownies. Y'all are nestled snugly in your beds right now - soon to get up and start YOUR Sunday. I hope yours is as wonderful as mine has turned out to be!



**********************************

Since I have never actually shown that you can see the grounds / Angel Moroni from our apartment - it is across the water there - about 1/3 from the left side of the photo (yeah, I know you can't see it, it is just WHERE it is ...).


Extreme zoom (so crappy photo):

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That plant looks like one that grows on our fence. The blooms are very pretty.

Shel said...

Sounds like you are enjoying yourself and taking plenty of photos.. the pictures are great. It's so pretty there. I wonder who gets the fun job of making sure that parking garage stays squeaky clean? So, I'm curious, what is the temperature there right now?

Lori Hurst said...

The temperature varies between 6C - 21C - which converts to 42F - 70F. I guess this is as cold as it gets in the winter. When I flew in last week, it was snowing in Sydney - but they are 1000km to the south.