29 July 2009

Night Shots ...


Gary was working late and called to see if I wanted to meet him for dinner. Since we hadn't eaten out the entire time I have been here, I really haven't been out wandering around in the dark, so I took the opportunity to steal his Nikon Cool Pix camera and see how well I could get some night shots.


I set it to night setting, but left on the flash, since if you turn off the flash, the shutter speed is so slow you can't hold your hand steady enough to get a decent shot. With the flash on, sure - you look like an idiot taking a photo of a freaking bridge a half a kilometer away with your flash on, but it fools the camera into a much faster shutter speed.


The buildings ... not so bad (this was where I was walking to and where Gary works):




The bridge was a bit finicky. Some turned out, some were a bit blurry:


I used an 'unsharp mask' on this and got the lights looking like it wasn't out of focus when clearly it was:



But it still looked crappy - so I 'posterized' it and called it 'art'.





The final shot I took tonight (Wed night) was of a building that was all warm and glowy. I KNEW the photo would be crap:

But pulled some of the detail out using Photoshop ... but still ... crap:


So, what do we do with crappy photos? Throw them away? NO, darken them a bit, posterize them and call them 'ART'!

I know y'all SO care, but I can't sleep and don't know what to do with the photos I play with other than post them on my blog ... Your eyes have to suffer ...

Since y'all are just starting yours (while I am desperately trying to end mine) I hope your Wednesday is as good as mine was!

3 comments:

Shel said...

I like the reflection of the lights in the water.. the buildings running right next to the water is pretty neat....

Laura said...

Great pictures! I'm still amazed at your mad photoshopping skills!

Enjoy the rest of your stay down under!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE the old building! Pardon me if offensive, but I am SO seeing a vampire movie going on there. Therefore, my favorite picture.