07 July 2009

Hollywood - Here He Comes ....

If you have been reading my blog for a bit (say ... since February) you might have read My Brother, My Hero - the account of the rescue of Marcus Luttrell from an Afghani village - my brother being the pilot of the helicopter that carried him to safety.

Well, while I was in Colorado, my brother handed me a DVD with a National Geographic series on it called 'Helicopter Wars'. Four episodes: one called 'Taliban Gambit' which recounts this rescue.

I was not sleeping last night so I stuck it in my DVD drive on my computer hoping to catch a glimpse of my bro. I picked Taliban Gambit and pressed play. A man starts speaking ... there is no picture and I realize - this is my brothers voice! He then comes on screen - apparently he was interviewed while sitting in his helicopter. Something is weird about his voice, his mannerisms ... he's so ... normal!! Gone is the 'idiot brother' who's last act before parting in Colorado was to literally shower me with a minute long raspberry on my neck. Gone is the hyperactivity, gone is the funny talk, the jokes, the eye rolling. Here was a man recounting an event in a very professional manner. Into the program he shows parts of the helicopter and how they helped him that night - very impressive. He discusses and demonstrates night vision goggles - very well - calmly, sedately. It is like a switch had been flipped - and I am sure I was watching my 'professional' brother rather than, well ... my 'brother' brother.

I always thought that Jack Black would be THE actor to portray my brother. But not in this documentary! Who knew he could do 'normal'? And pull it off rather well!

So I googled it and *gasp* it is out there on imdb.com (Internet Movie Data Base for those not in the know and the most helpful site when it comes to movies and TV series). It also has a page on the National Geographic Channel website - HERE - complete with photos - one of my bro.

Alas, it is a UK documentary and does not seem to be 'playing' in the states. (feel free to come borrow my DVD if you would like to watch it) but it is playing in Australia on July 30th on the National Geographic channel. It just so happens that I will be in Australia on July 30th and Gary just so happens to have cable so: me, a bowl of popcorn and TV ... how weird will that be?

Gotta say, the story (although I tell a more descriptive version)? On the 'little screen'? Impressive!

Know you don't wander over here and read my blog - but dude, you are still my hero.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow! That is really awesome. In the non-California sense. Awe inspiring, I guess. I think Andy and I would love to see that. Perhaps an exchange on Sunday?

Laura said...

That is so amazing! Hooray for real American heroes!

Cherri said...

Your brother is a hero, and that is such a tribute you wrote to him. I hope he does read your blog - he needs the feelings you portray so beautifully to keep him safe.