28 July 2009

Running, Running, Running ...



... out of time ...


Went out walking this morning, well, just because that is what I do now in the mornings.

I was standing at a corner basking in the sun and people watching when I realized that I was standing in front of Gary's office. For weeks I really couldn't place it in perspective with where I was walking ... although I knew it was near. So, of course, I snapped a photo:



It reminded me of a conversation we had the night previous:

Gary: "You're days here are numbered."

Me: "Yeah, I figured that ..."

Gary: "You want to fly to Sydney for the weekend? Something?"

Me: "Nah, I'm good"

We continued to plan my last weekend here in Australia and I was sad. It has been fun here, but I guess I miss my 'Texas Home' also. It is difficult living two different places.

I approached the apartment and smiled ... "Home", my feet hurt and I was ready to be done with my 2 hour walk.


Entered the apartment and it had a melancholy air - the flowers had petals that were falling off ... as if to remind me that time was running out - hurry and finish what you intend to do.



I turn the corner into the office and turn on XM Satellite radio to have a bit of music to compete with the 'music' of bustling downtown Brisbane as I unpack my backpack.

I see my books on PhotoShop CS 4, and LightRoom - haven't even cracked them. My baby computer - has pretty much been neglected.

I sit down, download the 3 photos that I took on my walk - another indicator that time is short - I have taken all the photos I guess I need to take!


Why so down? I still have 4 full days here, but really only 2 to wander around and goof off by myself when I had so many to start with (Saturday will be a full on road trip day, and Sunday is, well ... just Sunday).

Still, when Monday morning comes - I will be ready to head to the airport. Miss my house, miss my Charlie, miss Ryan and Jessie and my 'Texas House' routine. Won't be back here until October some time, though, so I need to really soak up the Australian experience.

Two days ... I think it will be enough time ...

2 comments:

Shel said...

Lori, thanks for sharing your experiences in this adventure of living in two places with us. I know it's not easy for you or Gary, but it is an adventure for sure and you write about it beautifully! Enjoy your last few days before we get you back at your 'Texas' home :)

Jennifer said...

Totally weird to have leaving home/coming home feelings simultaneously.

Thank you for being such a kind friend.