15 July 2009

Let's Start at the Very Beginning ...

A Very Good Place to Start ...
(Julie Andrews singing ...)

I think last time I came here to Brisbane didn't really count as I think I was super ill, compared to me right this minute - so I am going to just not count it!

The Flight:

The night before I called and they assigned me an isle seat ~JOY!~ Y'all should know that it is my number one requirement - want to be able to escape at any moment and don't want to bother people. Got to LA and they had TAKEN IT BACK!! Shitty little airline!

So I did the only think I could think of (and I was desperate, and I cannot justify it). Went up to the counter at the gate, waited until the crew showed up and told the person on the computer that I had a urinary tract infection and that I had an isle seat and then it was taken away and that I would be getting up a ton of times to pee (this actually was a teensy bit true - but still felt guilty pulling the 'I may need to pee every 15 minutes' card).

She actually got me an isle seat. Ticks me off - know she didn't bump anyone - what I believe she did (and this is the part that makes me feel sort of evil for stretching the truth) she put me in what I believe is called Premium Economy. Right behind Business class (and oh, yes, the closest I will actually ever get to Business Class on a Quantas flight). I had the bulkhead isle and it was separated from regular economy. Very quiet and we were served by the first class attendants (not the same stuff and not on china mind you ...). Also - there was no one between me and the guy 3 seats over, so we both had a seat for our backpacks.

I enjoyed playing with my new toys, but even better and some of you won't believe me but I FELL ASLEEP! Yeah - seriously NEVER have - not even in Business Class! I took my small computer bag, the two pillows that were for me and my non-existent neighbor - stacked them up against the bulkhead, stuck my bare feet on top of them and they were just the right height for me to lay back and relax. And I slept (OK, very sporadic and intermittent - but I do remember dreaming so it counts as sleep) for about 8 - 9 hours of the flight!

Therefore - I am in pretty good shape - not even close to last time I got here! Wandered in the door, saw my Australian cell phone charging and went to get it to call Gary (he had asked me to call him when I got in). Dialed his cell number and it started ringing in his bedroom. Assumed that he had forgotten it until a very sleepy eyed Gary walked out the door scaring the crap out of me! He had a late night doing some sort of team building stuff with his staff and decided to wait for me, but didn't wake up when I came into his apartment. So it was good to see him before 5:00 - 6:00 tonight (I got to his apartment about 7:15am - Thursday).

So - everything is going well, and I decided to take photos of the other areas of his apartment building - since I wanted to show that, yes I got out of the apartment today already (it is a beautiful day and a very, very cool 10 degrees C) and so took photographic evidence.

I will go do something more photogenic tomorrow, I promise. And the day is still young ...
Elevator
Corner of Lobby

Outside apartment on river side of the apartment.


Outside patio area with great view

Up...



Our apartment from a ways out on my walk

A required photo of Story Bridge

Looking out our 'front' door at our floors lobby...

It is interesting - as the taxi was getting closer and closer to the apartment, I was getting more and more excited. Not only that I was going to see Gary (and that was not supposed to be until after he got home from work), but that things looked familiar, beautiful - places I need to photograph.

As he pulled into the lobby drop off area, I sighed and actually said out loud "I'm Home".

I guess, for me, "Home" is where your hubbie hangs his hat ...

2 comments:

Alisha said...

There is nothing better than a good flight when you're country hopping. I'm so glad you slept! That is awesome! And you should totally NOT feel bad for doing whatever you have to to get an isle. I've never felt so claustrophobic as when I was in the middle on my way to England. It freaks you out. Have fun in Aussie!

Vicki said...

So glad you had a better trip! Knowing you can get to Australia with reasonable inconvenience has got to give you much peace of mind.