05 June 2009

What's Wrong With Me?

There I was minding my own business perusing Facebook this morning and all of a sudden I hit a spate of people desperate that Farm Town was not working (no, Laura, I don't mean you - I mean FRANTICALLY desperate - and none of them live in Texas). I happened to click a link that showed how many of my Facebook friends played and I was baffled. Then I clicked on how many Facebook people in general were fans: over 300,000.

I don't get it. I mean, I really, really, really don't get it.


At the risk of pissing people off, and y'all know I will do it - I just don't mean to do it. And based on the 300,000 number up there - I am in the minority - so take this as just a rant of someone too stupid to figure something out. I am just really wondering why I don't get this 'game' thing? I spend hours on the computer - reading the news, reading various encyclopedias, learning more about my computer and how to make it run better, reading up on the latest technology in computers, photography, and photo editing, reading tutorials and watching tutorials on Photoshop, buying graphics and perusing graphics that maybe I would like to buy for my gigantic collection, pretty much doing all my shopping online since I hate to go out and shop (this, I tell myself is more about my chronic illnesses - rheumatoid arthritis, chronic pain and chronic fatigue - than the fact that I might be a wee bit agoraphobic). I read technological papers, medical papers, study about my illnesses and the medications I am on, I read up on the latest in physics - especially nanotechnology and string theory, I do my church stuff, my inbox is full of articles from various scientific places, plus all the other clutter I have collected in my areas of interest but games? I don't get it.

I did make a vow in college to never play a computer game and have stuck to it - this was mostly since I watched my best study buddy in our Computer Science classes spend all her money playing games in the arcade - I thought that was insane and made a vow. But it is not like every morning I am jonesing to play and have to tell myself I cannot - I just flat out don't want to, think they look dumb (don't get mad - this is TOTALLY because I know nothing about them and I will emphatically state this), and just have never an inkling of a desire to start, and if you notice above - don't seem to have the time! That said:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

Why would I rather dust off my memory of the Romanov dynasty than play Farm Town? Why do I play techno-geek all day studying how things work (OK, thats easy - I WANT TO KNOW WHY - always have, always will, I guess). Why would I rather read that last medical journal I got in my inbox from the Mayo Clinic than learn how to play any of the myriad of games that are out there.

Every time someone talks about this subject - I feel like a freak. But I guess it is ingrained in who I am and being different. Has never bothered me before so why now? I was a freak in High School - Studentbody Vice President, Yearbook Editor, popular because my friends foisted it on me - and in love with Physics - always had my head in a physics book - people looked at me like I was from another planet and could never combine the popular, pretty girl with the physics nut - so it didn't just start a few years ago - you would think I would be used to it by now.

Oh, well, freak it is....


Rant Over.

8 comments:

Kristie said...

Not to offend any on out there either, but I don't get the game craze either. I looked at farm town on my boys facebook - I'm not on facebook - and I still did not understand the craze, but my boys are in on the craze. And my husband could play Star Wars Legos on PS2 all day and never get up. I don't get that either!! I find other ways to waste my time - like sleeping.

Kristie said...

I meant any one - I hate when there are typos in my comments. It drives me crazy! I also realize that I should have put an apostrophe in boys.

Lori Hurst said...

Cool!! I thought I was the only one - seriously the only person on planet earth that didn't play computer games! Now there are two of us!!

Laura said...

I LOVE Farm Town! And I don't know why. I just do. But I won't be offended by the fact that you think I'm nuts (although you didn't come right out and say it). Because, frankly, the whole thing is a little nuts. Oh, well. You can make beautiful pictures with PhotoShop, while I make my farm bigger and save my Farm Town money for a house!

Lori Hurst said...

I DON'T think your nuts. I am just wondering what is wrong with me - why I don't get it. THAT IS ALL!!!

And as you say - you save money for a house, I will play with PhotoShop - to each his own!

Jennifer said...

You aren't a time-waster. The stuff you choose is actually learning and whatnot. Computer games are for the opposite. Unlearning. Ok, not UNlearning, but totally vegging out. See, you are just too good.

I always think computer game people are crazy unless it is the game I play. Obviously, those are the exceptions. All 20. He he.

Laura said...

I play Farm Town because it's easy and I can do it. If I understood Photoshop like you do, I would much rather spend my time doing that. But I don't really understand Photoshop. I don't have the imagination to see how pictures can be changed and made to look so cool and amazing. Alas, I just don't have that creativity inside of me. If I did, I would spend my time doing that instead of growing crops!

Cherri said...

And I, I just hate to lose, and won't spend the time to win, so choose not to even start! It is hard enough for me to get my garden grow, and that is enough for me!