08 June 2009

Thank You Mom and Dad

My parents are saints, there is just no two ways about it. Nothing shows that more than what they went through this last eleven days to attend three of their grandchildren's High School Graduations (all that happened to be graduating this year). They have not missed a grandchild yet. They have not missed a baptism either. We are spread from Eugene, Oregon, to a couple of spots in Utah, to Tucson, Arizona and on to Houston, Texas - so not that easy to juggle either.

As for juggling the graduations, luckily, they were all on different days. But since the Hurst's are a difficult bunch - we threw every wrench we could think of at them succeeding at actually attending all the graduations: we found out Jessie was graduating late - she could have attended an additional year of school, but she had her credits and all those in the know (apparently I am not included in that set) deemed she was ready to move on, and Ryan was not going to attend his graduation, then at the last minute decided to go. So my parents were scrambling to make it work. Unfortunately, my sisters sons graduation was in between Jessie's and Ryan's. So they flew from their house to my house, attended Jessie's graduation, flew up to Utah, attended my nephew's graduation, flew back to my house and attended Ryan's graduation then yesterday flew home.




Fun, Fun, Fun ... Not to mention the fact that my mom was busy folding my clothes that I had failed to finish up before they got in town, shooing me off to bed when I looked tired and cleaning my house. My dad was a great help with Jessie - even giving me a much needed break the first day we had her and Gary was not home yet by taking her to Wal-Mart to pick out a graduation gift.

I know it was tiring - living out of a suitcase, driving all over the place to find where these silly graduations were held (the graduation ceremonies were not silly - the locations were insane), picking up after a family, doing my chores, cooking, conversing with me ... the moron and so many other things that you do when you are visiting family. They did it because they wanted to, but I know it was not the easiest thing they could have been doing those 11 days they were away from their home.


They are beautiful people - inside and out. I love them more than I can say. They love my children, me and Gary unconditionally - and I tell you - sometimes that is a hard thing to do (OK, not Gary - he just shy of perfect and easy to love). My father is a Stake Patriarch and they both work in the temple and perform many other wonderful, selfless acts of service. They are two of my greatest examples.

If I can become half the person that either of my parents are, I would be satisfied.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Wow. I cried through that whole thang. I sat right behing y'all in church and could not stop staring at your parents and Jessie and Gary and all of their sweet interactons and thinking, man, if those four people being sent here to love Lori aren't proof enough that she is amazing, I don't know what is!
Your parents are who I hope to be like when I am a grandma. I just told Jared, that when are kids are grown and have kids of their own I want to be able to go to all baby births, and blessings, and baptisms, and graduations. He said we'd better be rich. But it's more about priorities, and making things work. Your parents have their priorities straight, that is for sure!

Lori Hurst said...

That was one of the nicest things someone has said about me and those I love! Thank you - I am a lucky gal aren't I?

Shel said...

Wow, Lori, how truly wonderful to have had your parents here for both graduations and they are awesome people! I enjoyed so much being at the Toyota Center and watching Emily, Ryan and Jeffrey take that walk across that stage, I could only imagine how your parents felt. What a special gift it was to your family to have them here. You Rock!

Kristie said...

I sat next to you in Sacrament last week and realized immediately how wonderful your parents were. They were so great with Jessie and so loving. You are so lucky!!

Laura said...

You are very blessed to have such wonderful parents. And I know they feel just as blessed to have such a wonderful daughter.

Rhonda said...

How tall is Ryan?

Lori Hurst said...

I think he is about 6'1" or 6'2" now.

Jennifer said...

"How tall is Ryan?" is the very first thing I thought of when I read that post. JK! No insult intended; I just thought it was funny.

That was an elegant tribute to your parents. You are gifted with words. And, since I'm writing here and not at your most recent post, I gotta say hurray about the a/c.