12 June 2009

Photo Drought

Photographically speaking it seems to have been a slow week for me. Since I had wandered off to folder: '2006 June Week 2' for the past few days, I wondered what I would find in folder: '2007 June Week 2' (for those who have not read previous posts, I store my photos by year, month, week).

Here is a bit of what was in my folder:

Angry Papa Bird in nest at friends house.


Hungry birdies.


Gary sheet rocking his 'shop'. This is before he painted and installed thick 'chair rails'. Yes ... chair rails. His theory (and a good one) is that, if when moving a large piece of equipment around and he bumps it into a wall, it will avoid putting a hole in it. That they are out of hardwood, stained and sanded to perfection is just plain ... well, Gary.

My entry and I am still wondering what on earth possessed me to snap a photo of it in the first place....


My good buddy Freddy. Dude hung outside my back door and is the only frog that was not afraid of me. He would let me pick him up and made cute little froggy chirruping noises when I rubbed his belly. Size wise he was about the size of my fist. He stopped showing up one day. I fear a cat got him ... 'cause who doesn't like a good belly rub every night?

A photo of what Gary calls my 'Plant Morgue: The place Lori's plants inside go to die' - so really a 'Plant Hospice'. That it is looking like it has a ton of healthy patients at the time makes either name seem to be a misnomer, but if I took a photo today ... well, Plant Hospice it is.

Vultures!!! Dead Armadillo!!! In a subdivision!!!
How often do you run into this photo op? (I darkened vulture #2 on the fence so you could see him. I liked the fact that there was a 'spotter').


Not-so-extreme closeup!


My Week 2 this year? Pretty much empty! How could I go from this bonanza to nuthin?

I think I am slipping ....

12 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, that's my little birdie nest. Ahhh, what fond memories of you picking up Ryan from tutoring. It seems like just last year, but time oh and time flies. So, when are you coming to Las Vegas to stay with me???

A.J. said...

Lori, I think your frog was a toad, Not that it matters, but if your going to go around rubbing strangers bellies that show up at your backdoor it's kind of nice to know.
I like the picture of the armadillo, it make you wonder if he's playing possum, perhaps a little cross-species trickery. Later

Lori Hurst said...

Amy - it is your little birdies! Time does fly - it does not seem like two years ago I was snapping those shots. About Vegas ... all travel to anywhere but Australia is not going to happen until my hubby lives in the same house as me! After that - we need to set up a time, it would be great to see you!

A.J. - You are right - it is a toad, and being a toad/frog lover I should know that! Just spacing out today I guess. And the Armadillo? He might have been playing possum then, but two weeks later? Trust me, he be dead! (And what's up with them always dying upside down?)

The Sullengers said...

Hi Lori - it's your niece Cara here. Isn't it so funny that you always see dead armadillos and never live ones? I guess I have seen them at the zoo since they are night creatures. I see them all the time here in Mississippi.

Jamee said...

amazing pictures!! Although I was a little sickened by the thought of what is going to happen next between that vulture and the armadillo. Ew... I like the other vulture "on the lookout" for the one going in for the feast. Great stuff.

Lori Hurst said...

I have seen live ones here in Texas, generally camping, not strolling down the sidewalk.

They look different upright!

They also seem quite shy, and apparently must be suicidal since they are scattered all over the highways around here!

Lori Hurst said...

Jamee, yeah, well - being one that can't pass up a photo op, I do have photos of the aftermath - just didn't post them!

A.J. said...

Lori, your suicidal comment isn't too far from the mark. When an armadillo feels threatened one of their self defensive mechanisms is to jump about two feet into the air. This my work great for coyotes not so good with an Escalade! Ouch! Later.

Jennifer said...

You just reminded me: last month there was a dead armidillo on the ramp that takes you off the sam houston tollway onto 249 (on the way to the temple). Yeah, on the elevated ramp that is in the midst of much other freeway. I don't know how long it took to walk up there, or why it went, or how long it stayed there (I saw it twice in one week, so at least that long). It is my two-headed zebra, I guess, since I didn't have a camera, and I don't anticipate a recurrence.

Sidenote: Perhaps Freddie had a toady premonition of his unfortunate Aussie cousins?

kimberly said...

It cracks me up that you took a picture of what is essentially roadkill. Becoming dinner, no less.

You are funny girl!

Lori Hurst said...

"Funny" doesn't even begin to describe my psyche, but in my defense:

A - The armidillo could have died from natural causes (or as A.J. suggests above, just playing possum)

and B - It's a DEAD ARMIDILLO and VULTURES in a pretty little neighborhood hamlet - WHO COULD PASS UP A PHOTO OP LIKE THAT?!

Jennifer said...

Hence Lori the Gory