02 June 2009

Be on the lookout for a two-headed zebra

The Hurst house is getting back to normal after a very busy weekend - just to start it all over again next Friday.

Sunday Gary came home and Jessie and Charlies heads exploded (only Charlie peed on his shoes, though). We had a lovely meal since my mom was there to cook it (OK, and Gary got off a plane, got home just in time for us to tell him it was his job to grill the chicken - him being the 'grillmaster' and all).

Sunday afternoon truly became a day of rest. My parents took their books, went into separate sitting areas and promptly fell asleep:
I know he LOOKS like he is reading, but since he grumpily told me I had woken him up with my flash ... I guess not.


Mom never even stirred - busy day for her.

Gary took it upon himself to have 'Jessie duty' and went to watch a new movie with her in yet another sitting area - doesn't he look happy to have his photo taken?

So pretty much everyone sequestered themselves except me who wandered around aimlessly with my camera bothering everyone.


Now, there is Charlie - she is getting quite the workout these days. Gary throws the Frisbee for her a few times a day and with the extra 20 pounds in hair she is wearing, it is giving her quite the workout.

We are WAY overdue for a haircut for Charlie. I have an appointment for her tomorrow. She will be 'shorn' more than she will be groomed, though. I should have done it before I went to Australia but got busy, then Gary wanted to see her to see if he could get some of the mattes out before we took her in and he now agrees - shave it all off. It is pretty much our only option and she looks idiotic and naked when this happens, so the following photos will be the last where she looks like a dog and not a giant rat:
Charlie and a miss - she is rather rusty.


And a catch.


Gary left this newspaper on my desk today. It is from Papau New Guinea. It is an article about his project. I was impressed until he told me that it is such a big thing happening there (I believe he said it would double their GDP) that it is front page news every day. I was impressed with the statement: "The agreement will land K20 billion in the hands of the of provincial governments and landowners ..." when it says they are getting 7%. My math is a wee bit rusty since I minored in it, but I'm thinking that is a big ass project. But then again there must be something there if you are going to build an entire city to go get it! (Gary mentioned that the city is not a real city - just a place where all the workers will live - but I say - he is building bridges (I think 27 of them), roads, water treatment plants, etc ... it's a city)

And I know y'all were wondering about my title. I was driving my parents to the airport on Monday and a ways in my father realized that he had forgotten his cameras. He had left them on Gary's desk (or what I affectionately like to call Lori's laptop desk):
We had gone just far enough that we would worry if we turned around and went back to get them. OK, me and my dad would worry - we are exactly alike - we would rather be to the airport an hour early than running to catch our flight - my mom just thinks we are from another planet. So, having my trusty small camera in my purse since I don't go anywhere without it - I loaned it to my dad so he could take photos of my nephews graduation. Thus - I am POSITIVE that elusive two-headed zebra will show up one of these days ... and me without my camera!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm pretty sure I saw the zebra. Tough luck.

Liz said...

I saw a unicorn--does that count?

Shel said...

I thought I saw the zebra one time, but my battery was dead! Can you believe that! That's my problem... I remember my camera, but my blasted battery dies.. way to always try and be prepared Lori... You Rock!

Kristie said...

Shelley - you should always carry an extra all ready charged battery. I'm not going to miss that two headed zebra!

Cherri said...

Loved that post - my ideal Sunday, nap included! Unfortunately, with church from 1-4 it is impossible to get in a nap if I ever expect to sleep that night! So I just play on my computer and that solves my need to escape.

My problem is never having the skill to capture the pic in the first place - kudos to you for all your ability, and you can carry around your dad's camera to catch that two-headed zebra!