09 June 2009

My Persistant Pessimism has Partially Passed ...

My staunch grip on the belief that my life is purely defined by 'Murphy's Law' has been shaken a tiny bit today. This belief came to be when I embraced the principle of "Occam's Razor". Simply stated: "Of several acceptable explanations for a phenomenon, the simplest is preferable". Thus - when my life turned to shit for about 5 - 10 years, the simplest hypothesis seemed to be the preferable one: my life was ruled completely by Murphy's Law:

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong ... and in the worst possible way".

Murphy was my best bud, my constant companion, he became a confidant and heard a lot of naughty words and nary said a thing about it. I got used to him peeking over my shoulder. I grew comfortable with him there, the predictability of him was comforting even though I was walking through a minefield of disasters.

It has been working for me for years! I came to not even think about it as a problem, just a way of life. I prepared for the worst and when the worst came - I was, well ... prepared! I have to mention that this does leave a little wiggle room to be pleasantly surprised when the worst possible outcome is not what occurs.

This seems to be happening to me more and more these days - thus maybe there is a little more to my existence than to prove that Murphy really does exist ... and lives at my house.

Long story short (if you have not read two posts earlier, I seem to just be rambling on, batshit crazy, whatever, those of you who have read two posts earlier can see where this is going ...):

A capacitor.

Cute little things. You know, an electrical component that holds an electric charge. OK, maybe some not so little. That was when I worked in a Physics lab playing with resistors and capacitors (smaller than my pinkie fingernail 30'ish some odd years ago - who knows if they can even be seen today ...) but for a big ass air conditioner - the capacitor is about the size of my forearm. It is what starts the compressor outside and then keeps the fan running - thus a dual purpose capacitor and my best buddy today. Apparently it blew. Most likely from a huge power surge, but it didn't explode - it just ... bulged. So - a capacitor that fell on its' sword (as it is designed to do) to save my compressor. All the rest of the components check out fine. I am one happy gal.

So a bulgy capacitor (dead capacitor) is all that was wrong with my air conditioner and since the price tag in my head had the price of an entire condenser flashing in it all day waiting for the technician (my worst case scenario since I could tell the fan in the attic was working), when I paid 1/10th that price - I was considerably happy about the price also!

That we had paid for a yearly maintenance program got them here today ... guaranteed and a hefty discount on parts and labor - so I guess being 'insured' goes into my equation that it didn't rain on my parade today.

As for Murphy? I might miss him and his predictability .... just a little.

4 comments:

Jamee said...

see i told you i'd pray for you :) Its always funny when our bad luck takes a 180 turn. You aren't sure whether to be happy or confused. . .

Shel said...

Awesome! I love it when Murphy gets a big kick in the booTay and sent to the curb!

Kristie said...

I'm so glad you have A/C again. Hurray that it was an easy fix!

Court said...

Yay for you! I'll take bulging over exploding anyday.