30 March 2010

Rainbows, Boats & Strangling Trees



Finished out my Tuesday evening with some photos of a very weak rainbow ... but a rainbow none the less:

Woke up Wednesday morning to a beautiful day and a river chocked full of boats. It looks like the number of water-taxi's and ferry's have doubled for some reason on this beautiful fall morning:


I had mentioned that I would post the rest of my photos from our trip to Cairns when I got home ... which I promptly forgot. In reviewing them today, there is really nothing to write home about except for the Curtain Fig Tree.


This is a ginormous tree that was created by two trees sacrificing themselves for the 'strangler fig' a leech of a plant that lands on a tree, sends roots down and is so tenacious that it eventually strangles the host tree. This particular tree started on one tree - which fell sideways hitting another tree - thus giving all the roots from the strangler fig flowing down to the ground a 'curtain like' appearance.


I included the sign that shows how this huge tree was created - if you click on it, I am sure it will be big enough for you to read it.


Here is the side with the Curtain-like appearance:



This is a vertical panorama that I took standing on the other side of it. Very cool, no?


So ... It is Wednesday morning at about 9:00am and that is all I've got folks! I'm fresh out of photos, crazy rantings, and annoying lessons ...

2 comments:

Kristie said...

That tree is super cool!!

Vicki said...

That is so neat! I never would have guessed what happened.