18 March 2010

Let the Games Begin ...


After a bumpy start - my Australian Adventure begins (well, really continues ...).

I boarded a very warm plane in LA only to sit at the gate for 2 hours. Apparently they refused to board a person - thus security measures require that you take their bags back off of the plane. Why that took 2 hours was never fully explained but there was a heck of a lot of banging below us!

That gave me just the right amount of time to:

1) Realize that I had not brought the security fob and key to Gary's apartment with me.

2) E-mail him stating that I was sorry and that I would e-mail him once I got in the taxi so he could come home and let me in.

3) Remember that my phone would not work in Australia - I am in 'radio silence' mode with Gary until I pick up my Australian phone in his apartment.

4) Send him a pricey text message (e-mailing him is free - texting - I am literally calling Australia) asking him to tell me what to do - since this was the final communication I would have with him before seeing him.

5) Receiving a phone call from him saying he would stay home and would buzz me up when I called from the building phone.

VERY nice to get all that sorted out - if we had taken off on time - I would have been out of luck with no way of letting him know I didn't have my key until I found a pay phone or something. It was not so nice that the flight was late getting in - so Gary was late getting in to work, but he was still sweet enough to carry on our tradition:


These, being younguns, just might make it my whole stay ...


For being sick - sick enough to have a flight attendant take notice and spoil me senseless ... I got here in pretty good shape. Rested while Gary was at work, light dinner and a movie with Gary and then ....

Drum Roll Please .....

I SLEPT FOR NINE HOURS!!! NINE. SOLID. HOURS! A deep, blissful, dreamless, restful, healing sleep.

So off to plan our adventures for this stay: A trip to Cairns (which, when I say it with an Australian accent - comes out 'cannes' - so not so mysterious) and a trip to Melbourne. Not looking forward to more airplane flights - but looking forward to new adventures, new photo ops!

So it begins ...



... the game is afoot!

HAH!






Get it? Get it?













Never mind .....

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Nine hours! That is amazing. That must have felt like heaven after all your sleepless nights.

Have a great time!

Kristie said...

I loved your little "the game is afoot" - too clever. Have a nice trip!!

Cherri said...

the game is afoot - some people have to try too hard to make a joke! Glad you got some sleep, and wish I was there (instead of here, correcting tests and wondering if some of these kids EVER show work or do homework)

Lori Hurst said...

Hey! I just watched Sherlock Holmes on the plane coming over here - it just seemed apropos!!

Jennifer said...

I love Sherlock!! Imagine what he could tell you from that foot picture!