12 March 2010

In the Hands of our Heavenly Father

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you make them feel."

- Maya Angelou


This quote reminds me of a woman who passed away today. I worked with her closely in church. She was always kind, generous and respectful to me. I was in a position that I felt uncomfortable with, I felt inadequate, ill equipped to fulfill what was expected of me ... incompetent.

But somehow, she always made me feel as if I could do what needed to be done. She made me feel adequate, up for the task at hand ... competent. I will forever be grateful for this gift that she gave me.

Her pictures now hang on my wall - a constant reminder of a wonderful woman that I had the privilege of knowing and working with.

I will miss her greatly. Her humor, generosity, wisdom, gentleness, nobility, righteousness ... the list goes on and on ...

and I am a better person to have known her.

6 comments:

Liz said...

amen to that beautiful tribute. well said.

Cherri said...

I am so sorry for the loss of this wonderful woman, but there is a party of reunion going on somewhere. There are some people who just make the world a better place, it sounds like we are all poorer for her loss.

Kristie said...

We are all better for having known her! Thanks for sharing your wonderful tribute.

Court said...

Lori, I got home at midnight last night after a very long day. When I arrived, I was greeted by your lovely package. Thank you for the kindness and care that accompanied that basket.

I believe you are a woman who is well-acquainted with grief and loss. This makes you especially compassionate and loving to those who are in pain.

I deeply appreciate your kind words and the way you hung my mother's prints in Jessie's room. What a lovely gift you have given me. Thank you, Lori.

xo court

A.J. said...

Losing a friend... is such a strange term, one I find my self using all too often these days; as if I left them unattended at a bus stop bench, only to be snatched by some felonious traveler.

To be missed is the personal testimony to our contribution to society. We should live our lives in such a way that our friends and loved ones mourn our passing briefly and carry us in their memories forever.
Alav Hashalom.
(May they rest in peace.)

Jennifer said...

Lori, I am so sorry you have lost such a friend. I'm glad we both count her as a friend, a lucky chance for us both and anyone else who knew her.