24 March 2010

Grasshopper Mystery

My bags are packed ... I'm ready to go ... (yes - you must sing this part)

And I am walking past one of our balconies. And I spy this little guy:



So - I quickly go and UNPACK my bags, get my camera out, my card reader out and quietly sneak up on the cutie to take photos of him.


I know, I know - it is just a grasshopper, right?


Right ....




... but - we are up almost 20 floors!


How did he get here? Especially since he is a ONE-LEGGED grasshopper!

I thought grasshoppers could fly - remembering this from when we lived around them - but decided to go to Wiki just to be sure.

*****

Question: Can grasshoppers fly?

Yes, grasshoppers can fly.

But they don't fly graceful like a bird or even kind of clumsy like a butterfly, they fly for a very short amount of time, and when they do fly they go every which way and up and down. They are very awkward fliers.

Grasshoppers do fly to get away from an enemy. They can only stay up for about 10 seconds.

*****

It is that 10 sec that seems to be a mystery to me. I don't think he could make it up here - all awkward and in 10 seconds. So - has he been working his way up - a balcony at a time? Is he going to move on to the next floor?

Is Wiki lying to me?

Should I go out there and toss him off the edge just to see what happens? OK, I won't but I am a bit curious ...

*****

My theory? And I'm sticking to it -

A bird is dicking with it. Swooped down, plucked him right out of the grass at the Botanical Gardens, snacked on the leg, decided she was not all that hungry - an put it down in a safe spot to finish off later.

Good? Plausable?

It works for me ...

1 comment:

Shel said...

Haha... I was gonna say.. he is injured.. being one legged and all. I like the bird theory.

I haven't been very good at the blog thing lately.. hope things are going well for you.