09 February 2010

He's Alive!


Good News!!! I am happy to report that, no, Gary has not been eaten by cannibals. But, yes, his cell phone does not work in the jungle. He borrowed a phone and we had a quick one minute conversation. He said he might be to a camp that has an actual computer in the evening (his Wednesday evening) - what a concept! So I probably won't be hearing from him all that much until he gets back to Brisbane, if at all again. I will try to behave ...



stay lucid ...



stop spouting profanities ...



but no promises ...



Been reading my photo books and experimenting. Learned about 'panning':



I know, I know they just look like I did what I actually did - set the shutter speed to a very slow speed (1/4 a second) and moved my camera while it was taking the photo. On one hand, I think it looks cool and was fun to play with. On the other hand, they just look like bad photos. That it has an actual name is scary.

Discovered a MAJOR disadvantage to Camera RAW format photos. Well, a couple, really. One - you cannot look at them on the computer an see the image like you can a jpeg or tiff file. This is easily solved by telling your camera to write TWO files when it takes a photo - the jpeg file and the Camera RAW file - for just this problem. Which adds to the second problem - these files are HUGE!

I took quite a few photos playing today and put them in a folder. When I noticed that my 2 gig chip was wheezing, I wondered how big they were. One photo (the two files together) total a whopping 17M! Taking my 43,000 photos and dividing by the space they use up on my computer, they average out to 2.8M - which is inaccurate since I have been buying bigger and bigger cameras every year that take bigger and bigger photos - the largest being between 3.5M and 4M. Thats over 4 times the size of my biggest photos.

This is definitely going to curtail my photographing something with wild abandon! I will have to reign myself in ... a bit. Why just a bit? Mr. Amazon is kindly dropping off three 16G camera cards to my house in two days. VERY nice of him, don't ya think?

I think I am on a photographic bender - may be on it for a while - so I will apologize right now for all the weird, the obscure and the photos of my Indoor Garden #2 right off the bat!

Sorry ...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

If you can only do one, lucid is way higher on the totem pole than profanity. Profanity is almost a reward ;)

Seen the Orbitz gum commercial with the lady yelling at her husband and his mistress? "What the french toast?" "Who you calling a cootie queen you lint licker?"

Here's a link in case you have to watch it once a day like me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEJJUGJZxpU

Lori Hurst said...

Oh, my gosh! Jen, that was so funny! I should watch it more often and take lessons, then practice, practice, practice ...