03 February 2010

The 'City of a Thousand Spires'


That would be Prague, in the Czech Republic. And it would also be my, hands down, all time, most favorite, most beautiful city. The city is so beautiful because it was largely spared the bombing during WWII and is in pristine condition.

I am sure they can get to 1000 spires - no problem. I wonder where you start? The spires of St. Vita Cathedral - part of Prague Castle?


Or maybe one of the Towers of Charles Bridge?

Or just span out from Charles Bridge and look for more?


Maybe you start at the Astronomical COCK!!!! Clock. (Sorry - I referred to the Golden, well, rooster on the clock to a Tour Guide as a Rooster and he was so OFFENDED. "IT IS COCK!!! COCK!!! COCK!!!" he shouted at me - I was nearly chased out of the room for saying 'Rooster' thus, it is now and forever to be the 'Astronomical COCK!!! Clock' rather than the rather tame 'Astronomical Clock' moniker.):


Why this trip down memory lane? You know, of course ... sort of. Yes, I am still cataloging and pretty much basically dicking with my photos. But I hit this photo:


THIS photo.




THIS PHOTO ....




THIS PHOTO ...




I am so STUCK on THIS PHOTO ....








When we got to Prague, I was not as prepared as I usually am when we go on a trip. I spend hours on the computer researching the history of the city, country, where to go, the history of what we are to see, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum and I just didn't get around to doing a top notch job. So I brought my 'arsenal' with me.

Every morning around 4:30, 5:00am I would be awake and start 'cramming' for that days attractions. The 'boys' weren't going to put up with this and kindly kicked me out of the room. Thus every morning, the night staff and cleaning crew could watch me set up my maps and travel guides and papers and pamphlets smack dab in the middle of the Marriott Hotel lounge.

Every day as businessmen left for their intended destinations, they would walk by and say something. Often times they mentioned that it looked like I had set up a 'War Room'. By, oh, about day 3, day 4 you could hear me mutter under my breath, "You have no idea ..." as I was getting more and more sleep deprived, frustrated, and desperate to cram too much into a 24 hour period in the most beautiful city I had ever laid eyes on.


Friday morning.

I am at my post, planning, planning, planning. We will head over to the Jewish Cemetery (I won't make the boys go in since they would need to don a yarmulke and were they around to ask if they were comfortable with that? No, they were blissfully sleeping the morning and precious time away), then on to a boat tour that will take us down by some beautiful buildings I wanted to photograph. The lady at the desk PROMISED the boat went that far. Then on to ... I forget what.

Went and got the sleepy heads up, frustrated, raring to go, and seriously stretched micrometers thin. We head to the cemetery and there is a huge stone wall around it - so no peaking. Disappointed, I steer the boys to the boat. We get on and I start happily clicking away with my camera. I love this city. I am tired. I am sad I need to go home tomorrow, but for now - I am going to enjoy getting my 'perfect shot' of that beautiful row of buildings up ahead.


And ... slowly ... the boat starts to turn around ...


I raise my camera, twist my telephoto lens as far as it would go, and ... 'click'. Photo taken.


I look up, into a perfectly clear, bright blue, blurry sky ... and sigh.


I slowly take the camera strap off my neck, put my camera in my camera bag and zip it shut. I then sit and watch the shore without really seeing it as the boat returned to the dock. I get out of the boat. Slowly turn to the boys and ...




I TOTALLY LOSE IT.



I handed Ryan my camera. Told them in the most vile, horrible, spoiled, whiny way possible that I WAS DONE!!! They could go do what ever the 'blank' they wanted, I didn't give a 'blank' and I was going back to hotel and taking a nap.




I was no where near nice.




I wasn't even on the same planet as nice.




I was totally unrecognizable.




I was scary.




And I left.




Went to the hotel and went to bed




... and curiously enough






... fell asleep!!!




My boys? They, bless their kind little hearts, went back to the Jewish Cemetery, donned the yarmulkes, went in and took the most beautiful photos of a very old, beautiful cemetery.


For me.



The shithead.




The dipshit.




The crazy woman.




The really, really tired person just trying to make a vacation as memorable as possible for everyone involved ...





... and apparently failing miserably.





They then went on to see some other things, but made a point to take photos of some puppets I had been admiring (Prague is known for Puppets - if you want a first class puppet - Prague is your city ...). The puppet had hand crocheted trim and a hand crocheted bag, which they patiently photographed for me.





And then -





they came back!!!





Personally, I was stunned. I would have got another hotel room and sent a note saying 'see you back in the states, jerk'. But no, they came in and asked if I was doing ok.

After telling them that my head had stopped rotating full circle, and that I just might live, and no, I had not punched a hole in the wall. We went out to dinner.

The funny thing about meltdowns. You can't take them back. Ever. Once it is out there, it is out there. Something I learned the hard way.



So ... why this picture? Why is it calling to me? Beckoning me? Trying VERY HARD to tell me something.





Hmmm ...





Could it be that I never went to sleep last night? (My insomnia and phobia for going to bed has ratcheted to an all time high.)

Could it be that Gary's 'magical calming dust' does not travel over phone lines? And I am now on my twenty seventh 'dust free' day?

Could it be that small fire I just put out in the kitchen? The candle that went berserk flaming a foot and a half in the air, that I calmly, without blinking - just snuffed out? No biggie ... perfectly natural ... No need to be alarmed ...

Could it be I laid 'Rational' down somewhere and now don't remember where I put it?

Could it be that I have been living on Route 44 Sonic diet cokes for, oh, about the time I ran out of Chocolate Chip cookies Linda brought me on Sunday?





Hmmmm ....





Give me a minute - I am sure I can figure this out ...





Just a sec ...





Man,








Well, I will just worry about it later ...

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Prague sounds and looks fantastic.

I feel for the insomnia. I have had nights where I was awake all night - but (for me) it was medication related. The worst it gets now is to wake up for a few hours in the middle of the night or awake once every hour all night long! I have no idea why I do it, but I hate it.

ARGGG! Hopefully the insomnia will dissipate.

Court said...

I have never been to Prague. Now I want to go.

Jennifer said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!! Astronomical cock! Exorcist flip-out! Puppet pictures!!!!! I DIE!

Okay, I assumed during my first read-through that you were listing the three family members "The shithead, the dipshit, and the crazy woman." But the second time I thought maybe you were just listing monikers for yourself. So, which is it? Either way, it is funny as hell.

Lori Hurst said...

Nice one Jen! Hadn't even thought that it would look like something other than monikers for myself ... but sure enough - it does! I am sure I called them those names during my melt down - but by the time they were taking pictures for me they were nice names - so no, Gary is not: The Shithead and Ryan is not: The Dipshit = but, yeah - funny as hell!