10 February 2010

Because I Just Haven't Creeped My Son Out Enough ...

Tootling along in Photoshop last night at midnight when I get a text from my son:

"Wtf did you do to your face??? man, thats creepy shit"

Oh, yea - that's what I'm talking about - waking my son up from a study stupor at midnight with my Photoshop antics! He calmed down and, I am assuming, went to bed.

So did I. I was SO proud of myself. Going to bed like a proper adult and all ...




and actually fell asleep!


Until an ear splitting screech jolted me out of my dreamless slumber at 3:02am. This happened right when we moved into the house. It is a smoke detector letting me know that its batteries are dying. But instead of a:

"Ma'am, my battery is low, and I would appreciate it if you would change it. Thanks ever so much"

it says:

"HELP!! HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!! - my BATTERY!!!! I'M GOING TO DIE!!! DAMMIT - DO SOMETHING!!!"

The screech is ear splitting, scares the shit out of you and is deceptive as to where it is coming from. Since we have no less than 6, count 'em SIX smoke detectors upstairs - it is impossible to know which one is screaming at you.

You can ignore it until it does it about once an hour - and then go upstairs, take a book, sit in the hall and wait for it to beller again so you can pinpoint which one is feeling low. Or, you can just pull all the suckers out of their sockets and get a good nights rest. You might burn to ashes ... but it is a risk I am willing to take. I just need a really tall ladder ....

So - now my adrenaline has kicked in and I am up. Thought I would practice some fun Photoshop techniques and mangle more photos I have just quivering in Lightroom waiting for me to pounce on them ....

Worked on different parts of the gradient tool and the transform tool - the key word in the transform tool being 'warp'! I tried and tried to convey movement in the warping of my hair and arm and never accomplished it ... damn.

But probably good enough to creep out Ryan!


Oh! And I just got on to http://www.dictionary.com/ to check and see if 'beller' is actually a word (ie a form of bellow) and it could not find it but the thesaurus lists it so who knows? BUT - the word of the day (I LOVE it - gotta work it into my vernacular):

tarradiddle - a fib; pretentious nonsense.

Just rolls off your tongue - it might take over my favorite thing to say. As of late it is 'ipswitch and toowoomba' which is just two cities listed together on the traffic signs around Brisbane, but I can't stop myself from saying that every time I see them listed since it just rolls off your tongue ...

I have it! "Lori's entire blog is tarradiddle" (second definition - I don't believe I have lied yet on this blog as you all well should have figured out by now)

3 comments:

Val and Marceil said...

Solution to the periodic nasties from your smoke alarm is to have Ryan or Gary change the batteries to all the smoke alarms once each year. Mark it on the calendar and then nag appropriately and your problems are solved. Gary will be proud--another problem solved through engineered planning.

Dad

Jennifer said...

Ha ha ha!!! Oh, Ryan, you kill me! I LOVED Avatar Lori. Kinda sexy. No tarradiddling.

Court said...

forget avatar. you're rockin out even better xanadu style!