16 March 2009

Stavkirke Pilgrimage part II

Borgund
Hedalen (side)

Front of Hedalen
Since there was a wedding going on that day, we did not want to interrupt and go take photos of the front of the church. Everyone attending was wearing the traditional Bunad, both the men and women.

I accosted this young girl walking up the road and asked her if I could take a photo of her beautiful Bunad. Since most looked like this and the churches are named by area, I am pretty safe in saying this is the Hedalen Bunad. The purse is my favorite - it has a sterling silver top with a clasp that hooks it to the belt you cannot see very well. It is entirely hand made. The silver jewelery just below her neck is very traditional and very unique to the area also - I would see them in museums and they are very intricate - and all silver. These are very traditional and VERY expensive (think - seriously thousands of US dollars for one outfit, yeah - I didn't come home with one!). My theory why the Norwegians stay so svelte - it is too expensive to keep buying bigger and bigger Bunads! They are worn at weddings, christinings, other church functions (about the only time Norwegians go to Church) and Mai 17th - their National Holiday. (Oh, that is May)

Lomen


Øye


Renli


Bonus Renli - the entrance and an itty bitty Smart Car!
Also - the very traditional rock fence that have been throughout these photos - they are beautiful and are hand made - with each rock fitting like a glove into the other rocks - no mortar and have stood for centuries (I didn't put the dates they were built but a couple last post had carvings - one from the 1700's and one from the 1600's). The rock fences, generally covered in moss are one of my favorite things about Europe.

No comments: