20 March 2009

"The Fat Lady Sings" .....



Australia ...



It was all just a little mini-series I played out in my head. Gary working in a really cool place ... me swooping in via the airlines to go off on adventures with him ... Gary coming home when he could and spending quality time together since time together would be so limited.


Adventurous.



Exciting.



Out of the Ordinary.



New.



Romantic.



Exotic.



Fun.

Nothing to it, and just a mini-series in my head ... until the 'fat lady sings'.

Well, she's singing now ... it is official. My husband is going to live in a house 8350 miles away from me. For a year.


Alone.



Hard.



Added responsibilities.



Unfamiliar.



Hours in airplanes.



Difficult.



Lonely.




Funny how once it becomes official, reality smacks me up side of the head and I realize that this is going to be HARD. But like I told Gary when we were deciding - the job is great and he will enjoy it ... and the rest? Well - it is everything listed above (the good and the bad) and then some. But more important: the rest is in the details - we can make this work and have fun in the process - but it is going to take some work.

The first detail? Gary gave me the dates he planned to be home (home being here ... in 'Lori's house') and I needed to see it in calendar form - so a calendar and blue squares for the days Gary is here. The next step? Get me over there during his 6 - 7 week stays. On go the pink blocks - days I will be in Australia. All of this just preliminary of course ... but it's a start. It's a plan.

The problem? I can't stop staring at all the white chunks on this damn calendar .... (I REALLY need to find my inner Pollyanna .... soon .... )

4 comments:

Cherri said...

Breathe - now again - you can do this!

Court said...

Look at you all organized with a calendar and everything! My inner Pollyanna is saying that you will have a lot of awesome experiences and photos to add to your blog. I've thoroughly enjoyed my trips to Norway so far, and I'm looking forward to traveling vicariously through you to Australia. You CAN do this. You've already done things that are way more challenging and emotionally difficult. Consider this your year of elegant jet-setting on the company's tab. :)

Jennifer said...

Think of all those white days as photoshop days.

Laura said...

I am amazed at how organized you are already! You will get through this and have lots of adventures to remember (and photograph and blog about).

And think how many toads you could have by the time the year is over!