02 November 2008

Who Came Knocking at Your Door?

(Note - this might be one of those things that you really had to be there ....)

Halloween
When I realized the cruise was going to be over Halloween, I didn't think anything of it. Not a holiday we really get into. Not a lot of kids even come to our door. Gary complained when I told him, but that's just because he didn't want to bother getting up if the doorbell rang.... I could miss it, no problem.

Thinking Things Might Get Strange:

First Clue: Boarded the ship and discovered we were on the "Gayribbean Cruise" a large group of gay men were aboard and had their own information desk, private functions, etc.

Second Clue: On TV watching the ships channel the second night out, we saw 5 men, all with different colored feather boa's being interviewed. They were funny ... and said just wait for Halloween.

Third Clue: On Halloween, I went up mid-day for one of my many diet coke's and discovered that the atrium and other areas had been transformed into a Halloween Wonderland: cobwebs, carved pumpkins, spooky horse drawn carriage, witches, ghosts, skeletons, heads floating in bowls ... the usual.

Started thinking... maybe Halloween was not going to be ignored on this ship.

Bonne and I went up to an area with a lot of seating and a main walkway after dinner and discovered about 1/3 of the people were in costumes. It was a great place to people watch and take photos since it was a main throughway. Some great costumes - some not so great costumes, but the gay men? Oh. My. Gosh. Fabulous costumes. We had Slave Boys (my personal favorite - I'm talking PRETTY Slave Boys), Lucille Ball, Roman Solders, Fairies, S&M companions, stewardesses, a couple of 'R' rated Hooters waitresses and of course - the Boa Brigade.

I think you had to have been there to fully comprehend the hysterically funny atmosphere. Bonne was laughing full on to tears and I was close to it. I was the cameraman, she was the wrangler. I guess she was actually the gay man wrangler - but that just sounds wrong.... She would stop couples and ask if we could take their photo. I was actually called 'the paparazzi' by the Boa Brigade - "No more paparazzi" they were pleading (they had just finished dancing) - got them to pose anyway. Won't go into detail on all the costumes - totally professional things, but the Boa Brigade: think fishnet stockings, heels, a black thong type lacy bodysuit, tux jacket with tails, feather boa and a very large chorus line feather headdress. All the 'girls' were charming, gracious, polite, and funny as hell.

We had a quest - I told her I needed the 'trifecta' of photos: of course the Slave Boys ... plus the Roman Soldiers (or what ever they were - cute guys in short skirts) and the Boa Brigade. We amended that to include Lucy - she was adorable - even with a five o-clock shadow...

We got the Slave Boys, the Boa Brigade and then ran into the Roman Soldiers. Got them to pose and high fived - laughing hysterically - we had hit the trifecta! Ok, the boat was rocking and we were swerving and we admitted we were drunk although no alcohol had been consumed - it is a mystery even to us.... That's when we decided the evening and my photos would not be complete without Lucy - so off we went. First place we go - Karaoke. Who was singing? Yeah ... Lucy - she had a very good voice. I loved watching her walk - never could quite get her sea legs with those heels on.... She posed for me after her song.

Went back down to the room, loaded the photos on my laptop and scrolled through them - and started laughing again - hysterically. Neighbors were probably taking bets on how many drinks we had with dinner....

Halloween will NEVER be the same.



(I hope I have not offended anyone ... it was not my intention)

3 comments:

Laura said...

I don't think I'll be signing up for a Halloween cruise any time soon! I much prefer cute 4 or 5 year old trick or treaters - not scary 40 to 45 year old trick or treaters!

Jennifer said...

LOL!!! LOL!!! SO worth it!

Cherri said...

We had the comment in church that even our scary costumes were "sweet" in Rexburg. Some of those are just scary!