12 November 2008

Neuschwanstein Castle

Since there was some interest in Neuschwanstein Castle I thought I would share. It is the inspiration of the Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland Park and Cinderellas Castle at The Magic Kingdom. It was featured in the film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".

It was built by crazy Ludwig II of Bavaria. It was draining Bavaria's funds and his uncle had him declared insane then the uncle took over. Not long after that Ludwig and the doctor that declared him insane were mysteriously found dead, drowned in six inches of water.

The castle was only partially finished. Some rooms were never finished.

I always wanted to see it after spotting it for a split second in "The Great Escape". It's where Jim Rockford (OK James Garner) and the blind dude fly over it in the plane they stole to escape in. I thought it was the coolest castle I had ever seen.

The tour was cool - but photos taken inside were prohibited. Although they did let you take photos out of the windows. This is the photo I took of the Austrian Alps:
Ryan and I had a blast touring Bavaria, Germany. This was on Sunday and Monday. Maybe I can find some interesting photos from some of the other places we went. I am sure that is much more interesting than hearing about my cleaning lady!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I have always been a little leery about Robert taking an assignment outside the USA. But reading posts like this make me reconsider. Living in Norway, like you did, gave you so many opportunities to travel. That's a really nice benefit!

I, for one, would like to read more "Travels with Lori", with accompanying photos.