17 November 2008

Internet Troubles

I hate when the internet goes down. It makes me realize how dependant I am on it. I got up and went to get on (late) and it was down. I wanted to:

- Check a book order and see if it was out for delivery
- Download a trial software package
- Check my mail
- Pay a bill
- Write in my blog
- Read others blogs
- Check the news for the day
- Search for a book on photographing Maui
- Check the forecast of weather in Maui
- Order a refill on a prescription at Walgreens
- Transfer all my financial transactions to Quicken
- Check the status of another book order (see if it had shipped)
- Check the status of 3 other miscellaneous orders

All I am left with is my palm software with a huge ‘To Do’ list. About 11 of the items are flashing red – indicating they are late. Do I start on them? No, I just keep checking to see if the internet is back up. Over and over again…..

On a bright note – got 5 hours of running errands done. For me – that is amazing.

2 comments:

Cherri said...

Steve thinks it is funny when the internet is down because I will finally have to come and watch TV with him, or at least stay in the same room with him. Usually when I have a spare moment I am doing all the same kinds of things that you are doing online. I think I actually go through withdrawal pains when it is out or I can't have access to my computer. And to think I used to go to the library to find out things. Today I saw an article about acai berry supplements. There was a free offer and they claimed wonderful energy and weight loss with them. Then I searched Google and came across several articles warning people about the "free offer" and how you agreed in the small print to have them charge your credit card with $89.31 a month for your future shipments if you didn't cancel the agreement. Of course, for some strange reason it was really difficult to cancel, because their site wouldn't work right, or the phone number just sent you to voicemail or an automated response and a wait. Anyway, it is amazing how informed you can be with the help of search engines.

Laura said...

I was very annoyed with Comcast today. I really miss the internet when I can't get on it whenever I want! I did get some sewing done, though. That was good.