24 November 2008

Nearly Died Yesterday ....

and Gary took photos.

Seriously, I'm drowning in the ocean: inhaling seawater, out of breath (my big problem right there - I cannot seem to get enough oxygen - on land, anywhere - I think the cold may be affecting my lungs) and in a semi-full-on panic and I look over and he is snapping my photo. I am pretty sure he was just trying to convince me to live to get to shore so that I could erase the pics or kill him, but I really don't know what the dude was thinking.

We went out snorkeling at Black Rock - a supposedly excellent place for spotting fishies (didn't find enough to justify my death) and had to swim out and around the, well, black rock. So we did. I was in trouble when I first hit the water and started swimming because I could not catch my breath and Gary said we should go back. Him being a life guard in another life should have told me something, but I was determined to have a freaking fun time on this trip - dammit! So we went out. I took a few photos then someone shouted 'turtle' and Gary said hand me the camera - so I did since I was not swimming over there. The trouble was I decided it was time to go in and no matter how hard I swam, that stupid rock stayed in the same place or worse: seemed to get farther and farther away ... I was being washed out to sea.

Gary finally yelled at me to come on not realizing that I was trying and I yelled back that I was trying. He swam over and by then had drank a mouthful of seawater and wanted to puke and probably looked a wee bit freaked. He finally said just put your head in the water and kick, and give me your hand. A not so few minutes later, he let go and we were around the rock and the waves were washing us towards shore - so I will admit right here since Gary does read this but does not have an account to rebut my stories in comments - we were out of danger of drifting out to sea. But then I was side-stroking my way in trying not to drink water and so out of breath when I see him snapping my picture! NOT funny.

I am still floundering around in the water when someone yelled 'Turtle!' ... and that was it - he abandoned me for a freaking turtle. I finally hit the sand - it felt wonderful except that my legs were rubber and now I had to schlep my body back to Ryan and the gear. When Ryan saw me coming he ran over and asked "What's wrong, where's Dad?" I replied "He stopped saving my life to go take pictures of a turtle". Poor kid - he deserves better parents. He got one really good shot. Had I brought the right equipment I would post it, but I didn't bring the right card reader to download any of our water proof photos. I will post "The Turtle That Was More Important Than Moms Life" when we get home. Oh yeah.

Until then - here is probably my favorite photo of the day. We had driven by this truck and I told Gary he was going to have to turn around because I would kick myself later if I didn't get a picture of the three dogs wearing sunglasses. The driver had actually pulled out and turned around but when he saw me jump out of the car with my camera - was kind enough to pull over and let me take a couple of shots. It pretty much sums up the life in Hawaii - kind people and dogs who can wear sunglasses ... and not care!

I love that I can see the driver smiling in the mirror!

And an obligatory 'Hawaiian' photo to finish off the sad saga of how little my life is worth:

Seriously, having fun and enjoying the trip and I think the anti-biotics are working - at least I am not getting any sicker. And Gary is currently unconscious and there are knives in the kitchen (we are staying in a condo) - so clearly he must be out of danger or I would have done something about it by now.


Later dudes ....



2 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! There is nothing worse than feeling like you can't breathe. It was really nice of Gary to capture the moment in photo. I, for one, can't wait to see those pictures!

Cherri said...

I am so sorry you almost drowned! That is so scarry - to be swimming as hard as you can and realize you are still not going forward, instead out to sea. Tell Gary "shame on him" and to forget the pictures of turtles! Hope you are having more fun now and I hope the weather cooperates. I am jealous, but it could be because I am stuck in cold Rexburg and even though it is raining, it must be warmer there!