07 November 2008

The Flotsam in my Head

Have had a sculpture floating around in my head all day today. Don’t have a clue as to why. It resides in Vigeland Park (Oslo, Norway) along with 211 others. Gustav Vigeland created them all, and most are normal or as Wikipedia puts it “statues (that) depict people engaging in various typically human pursuits”. This one isn’t one of those. Wiki labels it “abstract” and titles it: “Man Attacked by Babies”:

If anything, today I am the antithesis of this. Gary is heading off to play boat games with the scouts overnight, Ryan is out with friends until late - so I am alone. So why baby tossing is scrolling through my brain is beyond me. Just in case you are concerned / wondering - the babies all look as if they are thoroughly enjoying whatever it is they are doing....

This 'alone' thing takes some getting used to. Thought that if I cranked up the volume of my music things would not be so quiet. Jessie's finger phone calls, conversations with Ryan, Gary's laughter - they sink deep into the bone. Music ... just bounces off the surface. It's just noise.

But ... it will have to do for tonight!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Leslie said...

Sorry about the silence. What an odd sculpture. Trying to figure out the connection between the uncomfortable silence at your house and babies attacking the man. Are these all of his illegitimate children coming for child support??? Or does this sculpture represent the deep rooted fear that men have about having a lot of children? So strange.

Lori Hurst said...

Yeah my brain does not seem to connect the dots sometimes. I always viewed the sculpture as something I would think of on a day when I was overwhelmed by my kids - and today was just the opposite. Maybe it was reminding me of the overwhelming times (and I know - how can I complain - I only have 2 - you have 6)as if to say - there were times when you wanted this ... make the most of it, relax and enjoy.

Leslie said...

Regardless of the number of children one has (1 or 12)...there are times one feels overwhelmed by motherhood! BTW- Nice interpretation of that statue. I can't get it out of my head. What was the sculpture thinking??