14 November 2008

The Price of Having Pets

Took Charlie to the vet today:

She decided that she would wait and crap on the floor in the vets room instead of outside where I had taken her. I cleaned it up and then refused to speak to her. When the vets assistant came in, she was thrilled to hear it. Apparently for the heartworm test, it would be taking more crap than they could collect and I would have been bringing a sample in tomorrow. Fun. Fun. Fun. I so look forward to it next time.

What I am wondering - when did it get so expensive to have a dog? Her bill was over $300.00 and all we did was the crap thing, get a shot and buy 6 months worth of heartworm and flea stuff. He says the old flea stuff the fleas were starting to get immune to it ... I don't know - do y'all have to take out a loan to take your dog to the vet? I'm just wondering.

Couldn't believe it - gave her a treat when we got home for crapping on a floor ...

3 comments:

Laura said...

I've been putting off taking our two cats to the vet. I always take them together, since they are brother and sister. So it's a double whammy of a bill. I'm not looking forward to it.

Shel said...

The last time we took Noah, our yellow lab, that's how much it was. It's absolutely out of control what they are charging now. I gulped when they told me how much it was. We had found a fabulous vet in Midland that actually only charged you for the rabies shot every year and whatever test you really needed ie: heartworm, it was wonderful, our bill was only about $50 a year. Would love to find a vet like that here.

Marci said...

Lori- we have been horrible bloggers. It must have been a 6th sense about the Charlie entry as Marci could not get over to the computer quick enough when she heard there was a picture. Yes the vet is expensive but worth every penny. Aggie doesn't poop there but likes to bite the staff. Her prescription dog food for the stress colitis that Marci gives her costs $50 for 20 lb bag. I hope you are well. We will try to be better P