06 April 2009

"Idiot Driving the Back Roads of Texas"

Maps! They so used to be my friend. I LOVE maps. They got me all over Europe, Hawaii, road trips in the states - EVERYWHERE except today. I trust maps, I rely on maps, I assume they are correct ...

So today I decide to go put air in my tire that was low and had been forever - decided to get it done before Gary got home so I would not look so pathetically like a 'girl', and something in my brain did another of those dangerous *bing* 's. This one literally screamed Road Trip!!!

I have been missing working on my Wildflower Trip photos - so I decided to go again. Went in the Exxon and bought a map. Looked at the roads available and set off (I ALWAYS travel with my cameras - somehow I feel naked without them - and there is still that two headed zebra out there just waiting for me to spot it...)

I get on 90 and look for the road I want - which never comes, and the road forks. I take the north one since I am wanting to head north and sort of decided that any small back road was as good as another small back road - you see, I had my trusty map to get me home again.


I take a few forks and all of a sudden I am at a house that Bonne and I drove by! I mean I was lost in the backwoods of Texas how could this have happened? But I was very, very excited. I had told Bonne that I needed photos of it and she said "on the way back" - sounded good to me. Unfortunately on the way back there was a big ole mini van parked in front of it which totally changed the photo from 'creepy, old, run down house' to 'stupid house'.

So I drive, and drive and I have looked at the map and I am looking for my road - my tiny road that will have magical fields of bluebonnets, Elsie the cow grazing peacefully in a field of bluebonnets and daises, windmills, unicorns and fairies...

NOT ONCE did I ever find the road I was looking for. There were roads approximately where I thought my road should be, but I would always pass it thinking that surely this time, my road would be just up ahead. Nope. And I went back to my mantra that 'any back road is a good back road', pull over, try to find myself on the map (only twice, TWICE - in the course of 5 hours did I find myself on the map), pick a new random road or, having not found myself, shrug and decide that a town would show up sooner or later (mainly later). I will note that this is not exactly the best way to go about things when you are on your second - yes, I am addicted - second route 44 diet coke with cherry and lime.

Took some photos, and all of a sudden I was at I10 - I had gone under it hours before and really thought I was still slowly making my way north. After a few 'damns' I decided that this was fate telling me that my adventure was over, so I turned East and headed home (I actually might still be driving around, lost, had fate not intervened).

A couple photos from my: "Idiot Driving the Back Roads of Texas" collection (of course you will be pestered with these photos for days, so I am pacing myself):




And, I might really be addicted to taking photos of flowers ....

6 comments:

Laura said...

That is a great house! It would be neat to have the money to fix that up the way it used to be.

There are some crazy Texas roads out there that meander all sorts of ways. I have thought I was going one way, and it ended up I was going another! I'm glad you made it home.

A.J. said...

Lori, Back roads are my favorite method of traveling acrossed my state. The world goes by too fast on the Interstate. Put me on my motorcycle running down some back road, bugs in my teeth, wind in my hair, and I couldn't be happier. Looks like you did well in your adventure. A.J.

Jennifer said...

How did you not have to pee the entire trip?

Unknown said...

what a lovely blog you have!

Liz said...

Flowers. A good thing to be addicted to. It could be worse. Like buttermilk donuts.

Liz said...

Oh, and I watched the sheep video. Those baaa-studs are amazing! Where do people get the time? Who am I kidding? I'm blogging at 3:40 in the morning.