18 December 2008

Santa's First Gift Came Early ...

And it's a big one! I discovered today that I am not a complete and total idiot. And I have believed that for a very long time, seriously - idiot - as in I have a math minor and cannot add: idiot. In another life (20 years ago) I was a computer scientist working on very technical things - when all of a sudden, I had a handicapped baby and life as I knew it was over. For 20 years. A lifetime. And I had decided that I could never do anything on computers now since they had come so far in 20 years (think no mouse, no Windows - barely no Bill Gates, nada just things I realized if I named them would not mean anything to you - and yes, I programmed on punch cards).

Playing around with the pseudo-programming language: HTML, the old computer programmer in me kicked in and started solving problems and creating. It was fun, it was exhilarating, it was strange, and unfamiliar and weird and it felt great! So now my website: http://www.lorihurst.net/ has a column (the hardest thing I have done so far), it has buttons! Push them! They go to other pages! IT IS SO COOL! I've seriously never have had this much fun in quite a while.

And best of all, there is a tiny whisper in my head saying "Your not stupid". What a gift!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am so impressed. I have no understanding of HTML. When confronted with anything involving HTML, I am afraid I am going to do something wrong and erase everything on my computer!

Lori Hurst said...

It is really not all that hard - and is rather fun to play with as my "website of nothing" can attest to! I might be thinking of it as a computer programmer and that might be making it easier, though.

Man - I was going to tell you the symbols for underline to show you how easy it was and the comment poster won't let me display them - tells me their not allowed. Hmmmm.