18 January 2011

The Travelling, Tricking, Tumbling, Tasty Tuesday ...


Travelling:

Gary is off. Headed to Turkey. He will be home Saturday so not a big deal ... chances are slim I can get any where near crazy in just 5 days ...


Tricking:

Charlie is on to her flea and tick pill. Her heartguard pill must taste like jerky or something tasty to a dog since she gobbles it down - but last month she up and decided she wasn't going to eat the flea and tick pill any more.

For YEARS I have used the trusty, tried and true method of wrapping the pill in some cheese, giving her a few bites of cheese first, and when she is in the swallow more than chew phase, I slip in the pill ball and then quickly give her another piece of cheese so she will quickly swallow it and take the next piece offered.

This trick has worked on ALL of our dogs. But somehow, she decided that she was tired of the trick and kept eating the cheese around the pill and spitting the pill out last month. Ryan found this enormously amusing. Me? ... not so much. I finally got her to take it.

So - today was the day again. She gobbled down her heartguard chunk. And why, why, why can't the flea and tick one put in a little beef bouillon or whatever the heartguard does and be done with it? Stupid company. I completely concealed the pill with cheese and started our routine. Charlie delicately sniffs the cheese I am offering - EACH TIME. And repeatedly refuses the pill ball.

DANG!

OK, I am not proud of myself, but I did ... twice ... try shoving it down her throat - but she apparently has that covered with a huge gagging, coughing thing and just spewed it back at me. I got mad and threw it in the garbage can the second time she barfed it at me.

I sat there really not wanting my dog to get fleas, and decided that there had to be something tasty enough for this stupid, stupid pill to sneak by. Got in the fridge and found some turkey that we had frozen from Thanksgiving and got back out - but was getting past its 'good by' date and so - I pulverized the pill, chopped up the turkey very fine, and just in case the pill powder wouldn't stick to the turkey, threw in a couple of tablespoons of ranch dressing for good measure - stirred it all up and called for Charlie to "come and get it!".

Oddly - she seemed a tad reluctant to come in the kitchen ...

Eventually, she slunk in and GOBBLED up the tasty turkey treat.

Stupid, stupid, stupid pill.

When it was time to go out, I was still mad at her, but sort of feeling guilty for shoving my finger down her throat ... twice. So I told her (while holding the camera) to say she was sorry. If she seemed repentant enough, I would let her go for a ride with me, if she didn't - no go.

Here is her reaction to my "Charlie, say you're sorry":


She stayed home ...

Tumbling:

So - my computer hates me. It is not like it is a secret, and yes, I am taking it personally. But I didn't realize how nasty it was until today. I have adjusted to not working with the tablet, not having music playing all the while knowing that I am going to pack this nasty beast up tonight and ship her back tomorrow - with my new one coming within two weeks. Until then I will use my laptop.

The hatred, by the way, is mutual.

So ... I am getting ready to pack 'er up ... I go upstairs to get the boxes that have been sitting in my craft room to pack her up in. Started hauling them down the stairs ...

... and decided to take the painful, bumpy way down and fell.

At the bottom, an uncomfortable lump of me and a couple of boxes, with my head laying on the bottom step, I said out loud: "Well, THAT is going to leave a mark ..." Which it will - a few huge bruises and I just might have broken a finger. I can't put any weight on it, but I can move it and it isn't crooked or anything - so maybe not - but hurts like the dickens!

I blame my computer ...

Tasty:

There is a new restaurant by me. It used to be called Red's Grill and served burgers, but recently changed to Bombay Grill and serves Indian food ... and it is FABULOUS! Since the owners are Indian - this is probably a better fit. We tried it the other day and really liked one of the dishes we got - so I ordered it today and left the dog sulking to go pick it up.

Chicken tikka masala with garlic naan to eat it with - it is divine - so y'all who live around here - since it was completely empty when I got there, they might not be doing all that well - go give them a chance.

Charlie decided that she WOULD definitely eat this:

But she is not getting any ...

Hope you had a totally terrific Tuesday!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I am so sorry to hear about your fall! Computers have NOT been good to you lately.

I think you should write to the flea and tick company... Pulverizing the pill seems like way too much work.

Laura said...

Our dog, Bailey, had to take a pill to stop seizures. She took it every day for about 8 years. I first tried disguising the pill in cheese, but she, like Charlie, decided to ignore the cheese pill after a while. So for years we started every morning with me shoving a pill down Bailey's throat! It was the easiest way to give her the pill, and she didn't seem to mind because she got a treat afterward. Pill and dogs - such fun!

Sorry about your fall. I hope you don't discover more sore places today.

Lori Hurst said...

I might need some tips on that 'shoving a pill down Bailey's throat' thing. I tried with Charlie - and I reached as far as I could - but she would barf/cough it back up ... any tips would be appreciated!