17 January 2011

Christmas on MLK Day ....


Look at me ...



... all socializing with people and all that crap - not hiding behind my computer in an empty house. How so very odd of me!


Last night we went and visited with Gary's Aunt and Uncle, and his Cousin's family. We found out recently that they lived just 20 minutes away from us and were in Bonne (one of my bestest friends) ward. Small world.

Thing is? Gary didn't know them. I grew up with a passel (60 on one side) of cousins and knew everyone of them more intimately than I probably cared to. I had no concept of how you would not know your cousin and Gary had repeatedly, patently explained that they didn't live close and I wondered what that had to do with anything. Until this morning when I realized all of my cousins families graciously stayed in the small town where my parents grew up. My parents moved, but when it was time for a reunion ... there they all were in Shelley, Idaho and we would just drive up there and have the best of times. I guess there is something to be said for having your kin live close enough to get together now and again.

We started out with these Hurst's rather shakily since we were invited for dinner last week and I really, really thought that I was going to be feeling better, but Saturday night brought on fever, chills and vomiting along with the other things going on and ... call me crazy ... but I think it is in bad form to barf in a guests home. So I cancelled. Felt SO BAD. I am scum. They went to a bunch of work and I cancel Sunday morning. So - I would hate me - having no clue who I was anyway.

But we got there last night and had a wonderful time talking and getting to know them. Wonderful family - ADORABLE kids. Gracious, cute family - I am glad we went even though I was terrified being the socially backward person that I am. I hope I didn't act too weird ...


*************

So - MLK Day and Christmas?


ANOTHER SOCIAL OUTING!

Two days in a row!

Me!


Impressed?


Me too!

I'm very proud of myself, but this one is easy - it is a long overdue lunch with my two best friends Linda and Bonne to exchange Christmas gifts. And I needed every minute of the extra time! My presents have a theme: Favorites - my favorites I am sharing with them and so I put a little gizmo in as a little joke that stores 60 digital photos - so I was sharing my love of photography with them and put some of my favorite photos on them. Thing was they would not work on my stupid, crappy, going-back-to-Dell computer and it took me two more purchases thinking they were broken to figure out they would work on my laptop.

But got the last one on Thursday, had the photos loaded Friday and I am ready:
This will be fun - I know these guys so I won't be terrified going in - but still I am awkward in social situations ....



... thing is - I love these two to pieces because they just don't care and love me anyway ...

1 comment:

Cherri said...

Good to know that my family matchmaking talents are still alive! I am so glad that you got to visit with the Hurst family - the other ones! Wish I could have been there, but for whatever reason, no one comes to Rexburg to visit - at least not in wintertime. I will just have to live vicariously through you.