03 January 2011

Forgetting the Big Picture ...



Literally:


This is a series of photos from my Canon DSLR stitched together in Photoshop and called a panorama. Straight 'out of the camera' (no enlargements made) this puppy is 68" x 126" ... that is 5.7 by 10.5 FEET - straight out of the camera. The file size is 23,096,320 bytes - yes, one file. You can see how I could be called a 'data hog' ...

Thing is? I cannot take a straight series of shots to save my life! My vertical panoramas, like this one, all lean to the right. You would think that I could fix that - but still ... they lean.



But wait!

Photoshop has just the thing for this: CONTENT AWARE FILL. Making something out of nothing!


Really!




Select those unsightly triangles of nothingness on each side ...

click a button or two ...


and ...

Photoshop spits out a message:

[Not enough RAM]

CRAP!

OK, it makes something out of nothing (and does an excellent job for that matter) on other peoples computers and on really small files on my computer. Like, I would have to reduce the size of my image to say 20 by 30 INCHES and it would work. And, OK, OK it would print out at that size looking just fine - but not at poster size! The thought that I couldn't print out all my files at ten feet tall kept me up nights.



It really, really did.



So - I got my Super Duper Pimped out Computer.



*sighs heavily*



I won't go into details here ... because they are too technical and depressing and well ... long.

Let's keep it at 'things aren't going well' and call it quits at that.



But wait!


Like I said - I was missing the big picture.


So obsessed by, well, OK, the fact that my computer is not working .... that's a bit harsh - it is working, just not very well and I will probably be blowing off the operating system AGAIN and will lose all my data AGAIN and will inevitably forget something AGAIN ...


... somewhere during all this I forgot why I got my computer in the first place. Started up my 64 bit version of Photoshop, pulled in my Yosemite Falls photo that failed to do the Content Aware Fill even on Garys computer,


kept the photo(s) at full size ...



pressed a couple of buttons ...



crossed my fingers ...



closed my eyes ...



and there she was!


And even though things have been a bit bumpy - with no end of that in sight any time soon - I think it is worth it!

2 comments:

Cherri said...

That was truly "losing sight of the big picture". You are amazing! (And so is your computer, even though it is driving you crazy right now!)

Val and Marceil said...

Does this mean a new photo on canvas over the fireplace?