21 January 2011

Dog Days ...



It is not summer, you say? (AND it actually has been freezing in this neck of the woods) This 'title' kept going through my mind today and I was not sure why - so I wiki'ed it. And it is SPOT ON. Just not the number one definition. In Wikipedia it states under Dog Days:

Dog Days can also define a time period or event that is very hot or stagnant, or marked by dull lack of progress.

DULL. LACK. OF. PROGRESS.

Oh, yes - and I was even busy today. But I feel like I am doing nothing - nothing of importance, that is. I am in a slump. Can't even motivate myself (barely) to read my Photoshop books - how scary is that? I think it is SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder - not just sad, sad ...) I am looking forward to sunnier times. And I NEED A TRIP! I need to take photos! And my husband is in Istanbul - getting lost and not taking photos, dangit! I seem a wee bit desperate - I am going to go see how many miles I have on Continental and book me a flight to ... New York.


I actually had to set my alarm today to get up and take Charlie to the groomers ... first. It is a first come first served sort of place and I also had a vet appointment for her (gee willikers could this be why my title is Dog Days? Hmmmm ...) and had to have her beautiful in time for the vet appointment.


In between the groomer (and bill) and vet (and bill) was a completely free(!) meeting. Fun for me. My dog is expensive. She did not have fun while at the vet - me having not been able (since I tried SO HARD) to collect the required stool sample for them to check for heartworm and parasites ... they collected it ... um ... well ... more invasively. And then when taking her out to the car on the leash - I had it reeled in and locked at the shortest length possible to have kept her under some semblance of control while I tried to pay the bill. Opened the door for her, forgot that I was holding her leash, turned, while putting my hand in my pocket (with the leash in it) to grab my phone - right as she attempted to jump up on the seat of my Tahoe - quite a leap. Well, there was about enough leash to get her to the floor of the car, where she was suddenly jerked back, but like a trooper hung on for dear life, scrabbling for some sort of paw-hold - lost the fight and fell.

Ooops.

Sorry Charlie.

We are a pair when we are out and about town ...

Wondering where the fun guy (aka Gary) is:



And these days I find myself pining away for Norway in the winter. Sure, there were only a few hours of daylight, but it was primo quality light. Some time at the first of our move there, the wonderful owners wife (divorced - and thus the reason they did not need to live in an old 5000 sq ft hunting lodge - their loss was definitely our gain ...) mentioned that she loved the library (what we called the red room - less snooty - except the walls were covered in (red) shelves and it had a fireplace) had the most wonderful morning light in the winters. I wondered what she meant, shrugged my shoulders - put my stuff in the room, quickly renamed it 'Lori's Room' and spent hours with a raging fire reading a book and loving life.



The room was full of my treasures that I had found in my travels - the scarf from a scary, mean lady in the subway tunnels of Paris, the little houses from Amsterdam, my jewelry box from Bavaria, so many treasures and so nice to be surrounded by these in this bright, sunny room.

I had a Swarovski photo frame I had purchased in Germany and had set it on the window in the room one day. One morning I walked in the room to find the room aglow in green and yellow rainbows! It was beautiful! The sun was sitting just right in the sky to hit my frame and send the light through the crystals and painted the entire room for me. It was a sight to behold.

Today, I saw the low light coming in my back windows and it reminded me of that day, so I went and got my frame. Intensify this by 500% and fill an entire room and you get the picture:

Don't know what it was about Norway that was so magical - maybe that beautiful 100 year old hunting lodge, the country itself, the people, the peaceful two and a half acres of pure forest surrounding our house, the beautiful sunsets ... or all of it, but I sure miss it ....

... especially in the winter.









Sigh ....

... back to reading ...

... or booking a flight to somewhere.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

No wonder you miss it, Norway is beautiful. Take care of yourself and have a nice trip.

Cherri said...

So did you steal the scarf from the scary lady in Paris, or buy it from her? That might help me decide why she was scary!

Lori Hurst said...

Cherri - I think it was something about the price. I pointed, she quoted, I paid and said 'Thank You' in an American accent and she demanded more. I believe it ended with Ryan and I running down the tunnel with her screaming at us! So I paid, but she would have given you another story all together ...