10 February 2009

Murphys Law

Murphy's law is an adage in Western culture that broadly states,

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

It is also cited as:

"Anything that can go wrong, will",

"Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong",

"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way",

"If there's more than one possible outcome of a job or task, and one of those outcomes will result in disaster or an undesirable consequence, then somebody will do it that way".

I used to be a glass is half full kind of gal. Then my life for about 10 years was one horrible experience after another. I literally walked through hell and back out again. Somewhere along the way my outlook became ... I guess wary is the best word. Be prepared for the worse and if it does not happen, well you are pleasantly surprised. Expect the best and you get a life full of dissapointment.

Very philosophical for xeroxing some 20 sheets of paper!

I need a bunch of xeroxing done for my Enrichment Night and called the librarian and asked her when would be a good time to get it done. She said she was there Wednesday night. I said no way. One day before EnrichmentNight is not the time for things to go down the toilet, and trust me - something ALWAYS goes down the toilet, I just expect it now. So we set up for today at 12:45. Been there the whole time - it is now 3:00. What did we do? It said it was out of toner (I know you SO care) so we changed it and I made 55 copies of my first page. THEN it says that the toner cartridge is not installed correctly and refused to work. I swear we pushed that toner cartridge in and out again at least 50 times. I decided that it is just pouting - and it is going to take an expert to change its attitude. Of course the users manual is no where to be found. This is typical for me, not even a surprise. I said oh, well, I will take an entire day and two printer cartridges and do it at home.

Susan was there and looked at me like I was from another planet! She is so convinced it will be working and everything will be fine. She has a feeling. She is calm and is just going to come back another day.

Me - I have a feeling too. The feeling that I better get started on this damn xeroxing in my office since it is going to take hours. (Already order 4 new printer cartridges to be delivered tomorrow by my good friend Mr. Amazon)

Is it me? Should I just sit back and wait? Do I not have enough faith? No, a little voice in my head is telling me that the Lord helps those who help themselves.

It will be interersting to see what is actually available for the women to take home on Thurday night and how it actually came to be ...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I believe in Murphy's Law. Faithless? I don't know. Probably sometimes. But I subscribe to the "help yourselves" thing, and I don't think the Lord will make copies happen if I sit around and not copy. And you are doing a good job.

kimberly said...

I'm a Murphy's Law kind of person. Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical, but I think it pays to be prepared for every eventuality, especially the bad ones.

Laura said...

I have no faith in Church copiers! I, like you, would be busy copying at home. I envy the Susans of the world, with their unlimited faith.

I am so bummed I can't be there on Thursday. Stupid Senior Serve Dinner!! I would like a copy of whatever handouts you are able to make.

Lori Hurst said...

I am now worried that I made too many copies and that they will end up in the trash! I will definately drop off a folder filled with everything on Thursday!